Thread: Ballast Resistor Bypass

socalmoney
    Am I correct with this. I put in a MSD ready to run and need to get rid of the ballast resistor. Should I just tie the purple wire into the orange and chuck the resistor? Or basically attach the purple wire to the positive side of the coil.
    Thanks
    $
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1190046959

502 JET
    Are you running a box or just the distributor and coil?
    You don't need the ballast resistor either way.
    Select your part number here (http://www.msdignition.com/1download.htm) for install instructions.

bahner454
    What does the resistor do anyway, What is its purpose?

zgoo
    It is used to reduce the voltage to the coil during the running of the engine to prevent the coil from over heating and burning up. It is by passed when starting to give the coil more spark to fire a cold engine.

socalmoney
    No ignition box. Just need to know if I need both ignition bypass and purple 12 volt at + of coil.

Socal hope this helps,no ballast resistor Tom
    http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8360_frm%2023793.pdf

nater1823
    Just my 2 cents. The resistor is to keep from burning up your points on a points system. Your 12 volt coil will take 12 volts of power forever.If anything, it functions a lot like an amplifier, if you don't have 12 volts going to your coil, it is more likely to not function properly. If you have an electronic distributor, be careful, many of the manufactures require the use of a ballast resistor to keep from burning up you ignition module. I learned that $140 lesson the hard way, burned out the module, then read the instructions.
    Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Others have apparently had coil failures from removing the resistor.

My new MSD Blaster 2 coil came with a MSD ballast resistor. I've seen a coil (not a MSD coil) self-destruct from not having a ballast resistor on it when it was being used with a electronic ignition. The instructions that came with the new MSD 6AL said to not use a ballast resistor.

socalmoney
    I just attached that purple 12 volt wire to the positive and it fired right up.