Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: v-drive cat

DMOORE
    I had a neighbor in Parker that built a 24 Daytona with a V Drive and big power and it simply did not work, would not carry the nose. After working on the setup for 2 years gave up and converted to an outdrive.
    That would be my thought also. As the boat grew in lenght, and weight, the inability to trim the prop would not allow it to carry the nose. A smaller boat can do this by using tabs only.
    Darrell.

Boatlesss
    The late Gordon Mineo built a 25' Eliminator Cat with a Turbine and a V drive.
    There is more maintenance than you realize with the strut bearing and the V drive boxes but Mineo did it.
    Docking was terrible he said.

BigBoyBlue
    Ive seen a V-Drive cat with a single engine powering twin arneson surface drives. It was a trick v-drive setup custom designed using industrial size belts to transfer power to the drive. I think i was told it runs 126mph or 122mph, cant remember but it looked sweet.

don johnson
    Ive seen a V-Drive cat with a single engine powering twin arneson surface drives. It was a trick v-drive setup custom designed using industrial size belts to transfer power to the drive. I think i was told it runs 126mph or 122mph, cant remember but it looked sweet.
    Pretty sure that is Ron Gibb's Firehawk of Bad Attitude in Parker. He just ran that boat at LOTO and ran 126 and has lots more left, he is still working through setup issues as both the motor and drive system is brand new. It is not a V drive however. He has a huge HP single motor running 2 Arneson's.

79 HUSTLER
    Pretty sure that is Ron Gibb's Firehawk of Bad Attitude in Parker. He just ran that boat at LOTO and ran 126 and has lots more left, he is still working through setup issues as both the motor and drive system is brand new. It is not a V drive however. He has a huge HP single motor running 2 Arneson's.
    Definately rons boat.. That setup will be pretty sweet when all dialed in... Lots of hours in fabbing that one up...

Dave C
    I've seen a couple of 19 Daytona's and Cougars V-drive that work good. A buddy of ours has one like Info's. Good stuff! Nothing bigger though.
    As for the large boats, if you are worried about the outdrive why not run an Arneson surface drive?

fuelcustom
    I have 22 foot daytona and have a arneson asd6 ready to install.The problem is that everybody is telling me that a typical 22-25 foot cat will not generate enough bow lift with a arneson. I guess my only other choice would be a #6 drive.

BigBoyBlue
    yes it is ron's firehawk. he is a very cool man, and a great neighbor to have in parker. that boat is a work of art with the setup and motor. I figured while not a conventional v-drive, it is still pretty much the same concept in that the motor is reversed.

Boatlesss
    I have 22 foot daytona and have a arneson asd6 ready to install.The problem is that everybody is telling me that a typical 22-25 foot cat will not generate enough bow lift with a arneson. I guess my only other choice would be a #6 drive.
    Don't let those that don't know any better sway you from what you want to do.
    It's something different than what they are used to.

gearcase
    check with arneson for a set of there rocker plates.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast