Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: v-drive cat

Washed Ashore
    I have a customer that had a 24' Eliminator,It was set up as a V-drive.It looked awsome but did not work,It was converted back to I/O and he gained 12-15mph.I still think a 26-28 cat with a trimable propshaft and a rudder hanging way out back would be a great project,with out a doubt,TURBINE POWERED!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeff

Washed Ashore
    Please dont dare me:jawdrop:

Please dont dare me:jawdrop:
    You aint got the balls...

Badburn
    I have driven a 1500 HP, 19 foot tunnel v drive. I can tell you that it is scary, and im not sure you could ever make it work properly. There is way too much bow lift and I dont think there is enough surface on the back of the boat to put a large enough cav. plate to launch it under power.
    Having said that, I think if you got the v drive in the right place and got the prop shaft angle right, It could work in a 25 foot cat. Wish I had the bucks to develop it. It would likely be way stronger than the shit outdrives currently available:jawdrop:
    I'll turn wrenches if someone wants to try it

acatitude
    It would likely be way stronger than the shit outdrives currently available
    Don't sugar coat it... tell us how you really feel about outdrives

Washed Ashore
    You aint got the balls...
    My wife has them in her purse,But I could make it work.I could have it finished the day after never!!!!!!!!!!!!!All b.s. aside I will build a turbine powered boat,just dont know when

Badburn
    Yeah all those Daytonas and Cougars might have them but those arent true cats. They are tunnels since they have a center pod. So unless you had twin V-drives I really dont see how they would work really well in a TRUE cat.
    What, why didnt someone tell me My 25 Daytona is not a cat
    Maybe now I can get insurance!

Two K's
    I have 22 foot daytona and have a arneson asd6 ready to install.The problem is that everybody is telling me that a typical 22-25 foot cat will not generate enough bow lift with a arneson. I guess my only other choice would be a #6 drive.
    Fuelcustom, I don't know how an arneson would work on a tunnel But I can tell you how it worked on a small avenger I think it was 19' After 3 rides First one a spinout and light stuff next two rides hard right turns when backing off the throttle too fast, I took the boat home and took it apart sold the hull without power I than put the drive into a 24' panther deep v with a pad and it worked good but still had that right turn thing going on if you had to back off throttel too fast, but more controllable. Mine was a asd6a drop center with gears instead of a belt. Like I said I don't know how it would work but be careful when trying it. I think Couger boats of Canada took a tunnel with an arneson years ago to ***boat or powerboat. I don't remember what their thougts were. Arnesons are great,very hard to break .But I think they should be as a twin setup.

fuelcustom
    Fuelcustom, I don't know how an arneson would work on a tunnel But I can tell you how it worked on a small avenger I think it was 19' After 3 rides First one a spinout and light stuff next two rides hard right turns when backing off the throttle too fast, I took the boat home and took it apart sold the hull without power I than put the drive into a 24' panther deep v with a pad and it worked good but still had that right turn thing going on if you had to back off throttel too fast, but more controllable. Mine was a asd6a drop center with gears instead of a belt. Like I said I don't know how it would work but be careful when trying it. I think Couger boats of Canada took a tunnel with an arneson years ago to ***boat or powerboat. I don't remember what their thougts were. Arnesons are great,very hard to break .But I think they should be as a twin setup.
    Thanks for the advice. I was thrown out of the boat at about 80mph when the bravo1 gimble ring broke.I do not want to do that again!

Michael2000
    It would likely be way stronger than the shit outdrives currently available
    Don't sugar coat it... tell us how you really feel about outdrives
    Too funny!
    I agree, though. I wish they would get a nice solid V-drive working well in more applications, or at least some reasonably priced surface drives.
    Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast