Thread: Bravo 1 Skeg Q ??

Mandelon
    I bumped a rock ledge with my outdrive a couple weeks back, I got the prop fixed, but I noticed the skeg also is a little bent. The boat wants to lay over on that side of the hull a little at low speed. Its like when everyone is sitting on one side of the boat.
    Can I just grab the skeg with some channel locks and a rag and bend it back? Hit it with a hammer? Or will that metal snap off? I can live with it for another month and take it to a professional I suppose....

Ziggy
    Sounds like a bit more than a bump..........

ratso
    Depending how bad it's bent, take two hammers and use one against one side of the skeg to back up against it while you hit the other side (not too hard) to straighten it. Helps to apply heat with a propane torch too. Watch so it doesn't start to crack in the bend.

Mandelon
    Its only off a tiny bit, maybe a couple of degrees on the last couple of inches.
    I'll get it welded up over the winter....

phebus
    Like Ratso said, I would back it up, and take a rubber mallet and beat it like a baby seal.

HPLavey
    take it to Richard at the propeller co. bfore you make it worse. He can fix it fairly inexpensive

i tryed it a few times broke everytime got the grinder out and put me a nice shape and edge on it.

Run_em_Hard
    take it to Richard at the propeller co. bfore you make it worse. He can fix it fairly inexpensive
    I agree with this. Take it to a prop shop or someone that does skeg repair. The shop I use in Utah cost $60 to straiten a skeg. That includes fresh paint and all.

ELVIS
    I belive i paid $140 to have a new skeg welded on, looks great.