Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jet Conversion to Surface Drive???

I would think the surface drive would have great river bottom
    clearance. From the pic it doesn't look to hang any more than
    a couple inches below the keel and you could probably trim it
    all the way up if you knew you were going to have a bottom
    clearance problem. :idea:
    Difficult to tell from this angle, but it looks like it hangs down
    pretty low. By looking at the angle of the prop shaft and comparing
    it with the bottom of the hull, it looks as though the end of the prop
    shaft itself is even with the keel. If true.........the impeller would
    protrude 6" or so below the keel. Reckon it all depends on how much
    you can trim up. Looking at the way it mounts and that skeg under
    the swim step/guard I have to wonder if it can be trimmed up and down.
    One thing's for sure. That thing looks deadly as hell.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1190902392

rustnrot
    The drive is trimmable up and down. It utilizes a trim pump on board and a cylinder inside the drive housing to accomplish this.
    The twin rudder steering utilizes a single hydraulic ram inside the drive housing to turn them with a non-powered hydraulic helm.
    A down-angle reduction gear is used. These are available in different ratios, take the ZF 45A for example, 1.23, 1.5 and 2.0:1 are available. Virtually all applications require reduction of some sort.
    At riding trim, the shaft is roughly equal to the angle of the transmission, i.e. 8 degrees, with the engine set level. The end of the prop shaft is roughly at keel level sticking about 3 feet aft. This allows about half the prop to be in the water. The drive housing aka swim platform and rudders do an effective job of shrouding the prop. Take a look at an Arneson, the props are completely exposed.
    The rear of the trans and associated u-joint are just inside the transom. If you look carefully at the Glastron, there is a rubber bellows that goes over/around it.
    The shaft is 1.25", I can trim it up alot, I think the prop clears or nearly so at full-up. It uses a 1410 Spicer u-joint bolted to an adapter that bolts to the trans output shaft.
    I have some of these drives available if anyone is interested in a project....

Thanks for the info and clarification. That's all very interesting. Not my cup o tea so to speak,
    but I like hotrod boats no matter what the means of propulsion and I for one appreciate your
    taking the time to post up.
    Do you have any comparitive numbers of before and after swap from jet to surface drives?

rustnrot
    It is still an "in progress" project, that is why I would love to talk to the guy who did the Glastron using the same drive.
    Also, the Chris Craft came without an engine so there is no baseline there. With a 300 hp engine, Pulse Drive indicated top speeds of 60-65 mph.
    Lastly, the drive the Glastron is using is good for 300 hp so I would have to assume he installed a small block. I would love to compare props and trans ratios with him.

airboater67
    No rustnrot, it is not mine. Found it on Classic Glastron site and thought it was pretty cool. This is my boat.

Boatlesss
    The drive is trimmable up and down. It utilizes a trim pump on board and a cylinder inside the drive housing to accomplish this.
    The twin rudder steering utilizes a single hydraulic ram inside the drive housing to turn them with a non-powered hydraulic helm.
    A down-angle reduction gear is used. These are available in different ratios, take the ZF 45A for example, 1.23, 1.5 and 2.0:1 are available. Virtually all applications require reduction of some sort.
    At riding trim, the shaft is roughly equal to the angle of the transmission, i.e. 8 degrees, with the engine set level. The end of the prop shaft is roughly at keel level sticking about 3 feet aft. This allows about half the prop to be in the water. The drive housing aka swim platform and rudders do an effective job of shrouding the prop. Take a look at an Arneson, the props are completely exposed.
    The rear of the trans and associated u-joint are just inside the transom. If you look carefully at the Glastron, there is a rubber bellows that goes over/around it.
    The shaft is 1.25", I can trim it up alot, I think the prop clears or nearly so at full-up. It uses a 1410 Spicer u-joint bolted to an adapter that bolts to the trans output shaft.
    I have some of these drives available if anyone is interested in a project....
    There is a propeller guard over the propeller on the Arneson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123