Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unions...Good or Bad experiences?

Lookin for Liquid
    Looks like GM walked off the job nationwide....I have my own personal feelings having been on both sides but what do others think?

djunkie
    Get it while its hot people. :jawdrop:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1190672911
    Oh ya, Unions suck!!!:devil: :devil:

Jyruiz
    Some good, some bad.

BALLSDEEP
    In my opinion, I think they are a waste of time and money. I worked for UPS for over 6 years and other than the medical benefits they didn’t do much for me. I am not the type of person to bitch about not getting enough break time or being over worked or going to the extent of filing a grievance against someone else. When we went on strike back in 1997 it was hard to survive on the $50 dollars a week the union provided each week to stand outside and picket after realizing how much each employee pays into there monthly union dues. Just my 2 cents.

djunkie
    In my opinion, I think they are a waste of time and money. I worked for UPS for over 6 years and other than the medical benefits they didn’t do much for me. I am not the type of person to bitch about not getting enough break time or being over worked or going to the extent of filing a grievance against someone else. When we went on strike back in 1997 it was hard to survive on the $50 dollars a week the union provided each week to stand outside and picket after realizing how much each employee pays into there monthly union dues. Just my 2 cents.
    Just curious, but if UPS didn't have the union do you think the employees would still have the benefits and wages that they currently do?

THOR
    We really dont want to go down this road again do we?
    Give it a rest scabs. :devil:

Wicky
    **** the unions!! I'm glad I live in a right to work state. My right to hire..my right to fire!!

BALLSDEEP
    Just curious, but if UPS didn't have the union do you think the employees would still have the benefits and wages that they currently do?
    Good question, not sure. I would think so it’s a huge company and getting even bigger. With all the new technology and ability to shop online it’s a rapidly growing company. Just my SCAB opinion.

djunkie
    Good question, not sure. I would think so it’s a huge company and getting even bigger. With all the new technology and ability to shop online it’s a rapidly growing company. Just my SCAB opinion.
    :messedup: :messedup:

hkunz
    1) When I was about 8 - 10 my dad worked at a vending machine company in SF, six days a week, filling the vending machines at various offices. I'd go with him on Saturday cause I liked to play with the gears and pulleys and shafts that make the things work (some things never change). There was a place that was being picketed by the Teamsters, and Dad had to fill the vending machines. They pulled us out, turned the van over and burned it.
    2) We had moved to the PNW, where the lumber industry was a big job provider. I wasn't old enough yet, but many of my relatives, and many of my schoolmates' dads worked for Boise-Cascade at the lumber mill. The town that the mill was in was rather remote, but they bussed the kids to rural schools in the area. There was no reason for the town but to support the mill. The union bosses decided, and convinced the membership, that they could get more (who knows, doesn't matter) if they struck. The mill was marginal, so B-C closed it, putting everyone out of work, and killing the town. The homes they so carefully purchased and cared for - worthless.
    3) My x had a job at Gemco in the snack bar, and she'd worked there for a few years. A new gal was hired in, and although married, promptly began sleeping with the married boss. She was promoted over the x, within a month. We aren't talking skilled labor here, they cooked and served food at an in-store snack bar. My x protested, and he fired her. She asked the union for help, and they did literally nothing, not even a response or call back. the best part was when they didn't get thier dues from my x's check, they began threatening her for not paying her union dues. I got involved, and they went away, but she'll never be able to get a job with SEIU connections again.
    4) A few years ago the SoCal grocery unions struck for five months. (A side note, grocery stores have the lowest ROI of any major industry, so the smallest wiggle room in profit sharing/labor costs. Like farming, you have a grocery store because you like the lifestyle, not because you plan to be rich) At the end of the strike, they got exactly the same deal they were initially offered. The three Ralph's stores in Bakersfield closed, and they all lost thier jobs (unless they moved away from their hometown).
    So, I guess, based upon personal history, you could say that I am not a union supporter. I can see why folks in the unions might support them, but the thing I find amazing is that unions would support the Democratic Party - an organization completely against the union memebers' best interests - but that's another issue.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast