Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand GPS recomendations

boaterbob
    OK,
    I'm loking to buy a handheld GPS unit to use primarily on the boat and I am looking for some recommendation for which units to look at. I have close to zero time using one of these and I'd rather not get something that I regret once I figure out how to use it.
    I will mostly be using it off of the coast of SoCal, in between San Diego and Ventura, and out to Catalins Island. Most of the time I will use it for trips between Newport Beach and Catalina Island. I am mostly concerned about not getting lost in the middle of the ocean and also being to get an idea of how fast I really go.
    Any suggestions or thoughts to keep in mind while shopping for one of these.
    Thx in advance

Flashwave
    Hi Boater Bob,
    I would suggest you look at a Garmin 176. (Don't get the 176C. You cannot see it in the daylight). Smaller GPS's are too hard to read when bouncing over to Catalina. The 176 has a larger screen so you can see Long Beach, Newport and Catalina all at once and its user friendly. If you do decide on a smaller unit, I'll sell you my small screen Magellian real cheap.

euby
    if thats all you want it for i would recommend garmin etrek. i got one last year and love it! its small(no attenna), waterproof, and real easy to use. i have a magellon and you have to be rocket scientist to use it and its big. the only thing i don't like about the etrek is it eats batteries quick(two double aa's). they make a car adapter for it but i don't have one...yet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

boaterbob
    Thanks guys...I think I'll have to head to my local gadget store and play around with some of these...Not sure if stored like circuit city carry the MAP176 or not, but I'll find out....I'm pretty sur eI have seen the etrex at those stores though.

MrHavasuCat
    Go to west marine, they have several different models.

RAINMAN
    i also have a etrek ,simply to use and water proof,i even droped it in but it sinks so take care.

Maverick
    Bob,
    Lowrance/eagle has a "rockwell" unit "GLobal Map 100 - not too pricey, but great reading ( even at speed in rough water) and many screen options for LARGE NUMBERS/easy read. It's a battery eater if not plugged in - but it has a cigarette plug, which I always use.
    I have nothing but praise for mine. Speed reads to the 1/10 of a mph!! --- and no deviation as you make changes in course.
    Cabela's sells it as I am sure others do.
    It runs about $200.oo
    A Buddy of mine spent about 1/2 as much on a Magellan but has problems with all of the above. So when he goes for speed with the new parts - he usually wants to "borrow" my GPS.
    Again, I like mine - no complaints.
    MAverick

Indy
    I use the new Garmin GPS MAP 76, handheld unit. I have the Waterways & Lights CD that I program on the computer and download on the handheld unit. I use it to navigate Long Island Sound out to Block Island. It works great and I am very satisfied with it after one season of use. It has many of the features of the larger units and you can customize the screens according to your preferences. I usually utilize the big lettters and numbers option because I boat in some choppy waters and its easier to read that way. There is also a small mount that I put on the helm so I can read it while underway, its made of plastic and I figured it would not last a season of bumps, but surprisingly, it made it!!

Michael Garibay
    I had a globalnav 12 by EAGLE(LOWERANCE),it looks just like a globlmap 100 but is a little cheaper.I've seen them on e-bay for about 70.00 on e-bay.It worked great going to Catalina,good luck
    Mike Garibay

CV-23
    Just picked up a used Eagle Explorer for $40 and it works great for speed/direction/etc. It locks in in less than 30sec from a cold start. Its faster than the used Magellan 2000 I paid $60 for last Summer.....Mike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast