Thread: Removing clear coat?

85CARRIBEAN
    Whats up guys! This is my first post on Hot Boat. I just recently bought an 85 Carribean 18' w/468 BBC. Anyways, my question is, the hull and gel coat is in good condition. However, the previous owners layed a coat of clear and did NOT maintain it. It has crazy flakes, cracks, and chips. It bothers me so bad, I hate looking at the boat.
    So.....what do I do first. I was thinking about buying all the tools and ingrediants to make the boat better! Some insight on this highly appreciated. Thanks memebrs.

GAWnCA
    Whats up guys! This is my first post on Hot Boat. I just recently bought an 85 Carribean 18' w/468 BBC. Anyways, my question is, the hull and gel coat is in good condition. However, the previous owners layed a coat of clear and did NOT maintain it. It has crazy flakes, cracks, and chips. It bothers me so bad, I hate looking at the boat.
    So.....what do I do first. I was thinking about buying all the tools and ingrediants to make the boat better! Some insight on this highly appreciated. Thanks memebrs.
    If you are sure it's just paint, you might try Auto Zone, they have an aircraft paint stripper there. That should do the trick for the clear coat.

85CARRIBEAN
    If you are sure it's just paint, you might try Auto Zone, they have an aircraft paint stripper there. That should do the trick for the clear coat.
    Yeah...I've talked to people at my dealership about it. They've delt with boats as far as paint and hull repair. I was told to buy a sander with flexibility using a 1200 grit sandpaper to wet sand the clear off. Then, buy a paint buffer and perform what is called a 3 step? I guess it supposed to bring the actual paint and gell coat up from being dull. I know this will take time. I just want to know the procedures, tools, and if someone has done it before.
    I really dont want to pay someone to do this. I'd rather do it myself. But, is it critical that i could EASILY damage the pait using the sander? Or, is it pretty obvious to know when to stop, or continue?

pw_Tony
    I would sad it with a 1000-1200 grit paper, a sander just makes it go by faster, but if you are patient and want to be careful by hand/soft block should work out fine.
    When you're sanding as long as white is running off you are still sanding the clear, as soon as the color of the boat is running off means you're into the base coat.
    When you sand the clear down far enough that you can't feel he edges of the clear compared to the base coat(you said the clear was flaking off?) then you should be able to respray some clear on it.

DUCKY
    1200 grit my butt. Maybe if you want to make a year long project out if it. I'd say 600 if you are in-experienced. If I was doing it I'd take after (carefully) with 320 to remove the clear, then 600 and 1000 or 1200 wet, then buff.
    The aircraft stripper does work well, but if you choose to go that route, be very very careful, as it will eat gelcoat too.

pw_Tony
    1200 grit my butt. Maybe if you want to make a year long project out if it. I'd say 600 if you are in-experienced. If I was doing it I'd take after (carefully) with 320 to remove the clear, then 600 and 1000 or 1200 wet, then buff.
    The aircraft stripper does work well, but if you choose to go that route, be very very careful, as it will eat gelcoat too.
    Lmao! Yea you're probably right... just didn't want a noob to rush into sanding away the gel!:jawdrop:
    ^ this is better advice that's much faster

85CARRIBEAN
    Thanks man! I'll take your word for it. I'll buy a few different shades of sand paper. I'll start out with the 600 grit and go from there. I'm assuming alot of patients, and Monster energy drinks will also have to be consumed while this work is done. Hahaha.

DUCKY
    If you choose to do the job with a DA or other machine, just make sure you keep it running flat against the surface, don't push too hard, and stay away from any corners or body lines. You will need to do those areas by hand. Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to burn through some paper. Buy a box (50-100 sheets) and plan on using it. Many a good job has gone to hell from trying to scrimp on abrasives.
    If you are going to wet sand by hand, make sure to not use your hand on the flat areas. Buy a semi-firm foam sanding pad and use it to keep your fingers from digging into the surface.
    Good Luck!!!