Thread: Ski Pilon Qestion

BP1330
    I am thinking of having a ski pilon installed. They are not drilling through the gel coat its going to be installed forward of the engine well through the upohlstery. I am wondering if this may cause stress cracks in the gell coat? Has any one had an problems with this?

So if it's not going through the gelcoat how is it going to cause stress cracks? I must be missing something here.

BP1330
    It's going to be about 1" or so forward of the gel coat. Wondering if the flex of the tube will be enough to crack the gel coat?

The ones we make are 1 3/4" round solid bar. You might get that much flex at the top but I doubt it at the point where it passes through the seat, depending on how you mount it. Unless of course you're towing boats or something which wouldn't be advisable with a tall pole.

Wicky
    Don't plan on parasailing with it!!!

BP1330
    Hey Rex the pylon you are talking about, is it solid aluminium or steel?

BP1330
    And what do u think would be better? The aluminum or stainless?

Ours are Aluminum. Never had a problem with one at 48" long mounted properly. Stainless would be stiffer (not necessary IMO), much heavier, and much costlier.

BP1330
    Rex whats your polished aluminum run for installed?
    [ May 26, 2003, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: BP1330 ]

The pole itself is $94.74 polished. Heres a Link to the page. Pricing is the upper left button. Thanks