Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? for you guys who had MSD problems

Hey cave,
    I carry one of these HEI modules with us when we go to the lake
    for emergency use. on the 4th of July trip one of the boats running MSD
    just poped and quit, No Spark, so we pulled out the HEI module with alligator
    clips on the leads, unplugged the msd module cliped on the HEI to the MSD dist. and coil. fired it up set the timing and he ran it the rest of the weekend.
    he actually thinks it ran better. I just mounted the HEI module to a small
    piece of aluminum as a heat sink. here is a link to show you how to pin out the module. I think I have about $30 bucks in it.
    http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
    Just use the 4 pin module and hook up the P. N. C. and + pins.

bp
    I got a water separator and it was dry. I drain it every trip back for gas just in case. I did pull the bowls and they both were clean & no trace of water. I bought this system because I had water in my fuel from the git go.
    Thanks for the tip RCB19
    what do you mean by dry? i understand "no water", but the drainable seperator i had would drain water, then gas until the drain was closed. were the bowls full when it started dying?
    which dist do you have? the only problem i've had in 11 years of running msd was the result of loose ground connector, so no personal experience with the type of failure you're talking about. i've been -told- they either run or don't, but the loose connection resulted in goofy performance before i found it. i have did have the same type of symptoms you describe back when i ran an hei. didn't paddle, just waited 20-30 minutes and then it would run. real pita trying to figure out which part was bad - it wouldn't fail bench testing, only after running at speed for awhile. parts guy said "but it bench tested ok".. i said "gimme, it's the only thing i haven't replaced". parts guy; "well, let me know if it worked so i know my bench tester isn't accurate".. i say; "if you never see me again, you know it worked"... he never saw me again... good 'ol napa in weaverville 18 years ago.

earlbrown
    I have the same box in my 66 Mustang 2+2 and its been in there since 1997.
    Swap boxes with the Mustang and see which machine starts acting up.

Bajajet
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96684
    My pick up coil died kinda like that.

cave
    Thanks for all the info. I'm better off just buying a new box and sending this one back. I'll have a spare. Heck I already have one If I use the Mustangs. Thanks JC. like BP mentioned, If it works occasionally it will pass the bench test. WTF its only money.

maxwedge
    Why don't you take the box of the Mustang and run it in the boat for a while to see if it still has the same symptoms.

cave
    earlbrown & maxwedge, Yeeup thats what I'll do. Looks like I will be at BArtlett Saturday maybe even Friday evening. Totally forgot about the stangs 6AL... Overkill you got the steaks right??? I'll send the other one from the boat back to MSD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12