Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prepping my bare BBC 496 BLOCK for forsed induction and jet

rlemn8r
    Any brand of automotive base coat/ clear coat paint system will work. PPG paint system would be the easist to use. Make sure the block is bare ( no old paint ) Use a product called DP-40. It is a catalized epoxy primer that will stick to the block. Then use a DBC base coat color and then clear over it. It is plenty durable enough to with stand heat from an engine block. I had an old camaro that the motor was painted. It was 6 yrs. old and no problems. I also paint cars for a living, so I know it will work. hope this helps..

steelcomp
    Rustoleum primer on a clean block, let dry for 24 hrs, then follow with Krylon black. I've won shows with this recipe. Thing is, it's all in the prep, not the paint. Try not to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

GofastRacer
    I painted the inside of the block for a long time without ever giving it a thought and never had a problem, until I got this brand new block and it was surgically clean when I painted it, for some reason there was something in the casting that didn't agree with paint and it started to wash off, fortunately I caught it in time when I decided to change manifolds and I saw it in the valley chamber, not too much longer and I could have been in for some spun bearings!. NEVER again will I paint a block on the inside... Now on the outside, good ole heavy duty Rustoleum is great, even the hot tank has a hard time getting that off!...

steelcomp
    One other thing I thought I'd mention is deck preperation on a block. Check with the mfgr of whatever head gasket you're going to use (I'd recomend Cometics) and see what finish they recommend for the deck surface. Cometics want as smooth as possible, but I think Felpro's want a little surface on their finish. Heads too, for that matter. Also make sure the decks are parallel to the crank CL and 90* from eachother. Hopefully your machine shop has a BHJ block true fixture, or something similar. Since you're not trying to build extra compression, I wouldn't do any more than a clean up on the decks, or whatever minimum it takes to square things up, but I think a fresh machined surface is mandatory for this build.

GofastRacer
    Since you're not trying to build extra compression, I wouldn't do any more than a clean up on the decks.
    Yeah but he's looking for 7.5 comp, still need to measure everything up before decking to know how much to remove to achieve the 7.5 ratio!. But you already know that right!..
    BTW, you going to the 300???..

steelcomp
    Yeah but he's looking for 7.5 comp, still need to measure everything up before decking to know how much to remove to achieve the 7.5 ratio!. But you already know that right!..
    BTW, you going to the 300???.. My thought is the engine wouldn't care if it was 7.3, or 7.8. 7.5 is just a general target number. With a blower, static ratio isn't near as critical as NA. I'd leave as much deck on it as possible, and live with what I get. Chances are he's going to be above 7.5 anyway. Just want it as low as possible.
    Not going to make it to the 300...working 6 days right now, but I'll be at Ming next Sat. If you're there. I'll come by and say hi.

GofastRacer
    My thought is the engine wouldn't care if it was 7.3, or 7.8. 7.5 is just a general target number. With a blower, static ratio isn't near as critical as NA. I'd leave as much deck on it as possible, and live with what I get. Chances are he's going to be above 7.5 anyway. Just want it as low as possible.
    Not going to make it to the 300...working 6 days right now, but I'll be at Ming next Sat. If you're there. I'll come by and say hi.
    Very true unless he's picky and want to be right on????..
    Too bad you can't make it, unfortunately I won't be at Ming but I'll be at Parker Thanksgiving if you decide to come out!...

Boostedballs
    Wow, lots of good info!
    I will be checking all the critcal points with this build. I am not set on 7.5:1, in fact anything up to 8.5 will be just fine. I just like the way my 7.5:1 Subaru perrs, then comes to life up to 20psi. I know, it's a much different animal. I just want this 496 to run like silk and be able to breathe as much as possible when I'm wide open.
    I'm going with the Cometic gaskets with this one.
    No paint is going INSIDE this engine, I'll just make sure everything is clean and maybe polished.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123