Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Boat, Titled Or Untitled?

If A Guy Is Picking Up A Used Boat How Do You Know If It's A Titled Or Untitled Water Craft? Is It Boats Over A Certain Size? Made After A Certain Year? The Couple Of Boats I've Owned Were All Untitled.

Kreg you can "petition" dmv in California for a few bucks and they can tell you if its clear .We check all hull and trailer titles prior to purchase to avoid getting stuck with back license fees. Also very important to know if the boat your buying (in cali) has unpaid personal property (luxury) taxes attached to it I bought a cheap Sanger flat on a weekend a couple years the had almost 800 bucks in back fees against it I was able to make a "deal" with that county to bargain it down a little Tom

DelawareDave
    States on the list require a title. Others not listed require reg certificate to transfer ownership.
    http://www.easternmarine.com/em%5Fsh...le_states.html

GAWnCA
    States on the list require a title. Others not listed require reg certificate to transfer ownership.
    http://www.easternmarine.com/em%5Fsh...le_states.html
    Thanks for the site Dave! I think there are some states that even require a separate registration for out board motors.

Thanks Guys. I Didn't Check The List Yet To See If Utah Is On It. Tom What #'s Should I Get? The Vin I Guess. Does The Calif Dmv Acually Answer The Phone Or Is There A Web Site. If Utah Is Not On That List Do I Have No Worries Either Way?

earlbrown
    I'm glad we don't have any of that in GA. All I had to do was get a form from Wal*Mart and mail in $36 for a 3 year sticker.

DelawareDave
    Thanks Guys. I Didn't Check The List Yet To See If Utah Is On It. Tom What #'s Should I Get? The Vin I Guess. Does The Calif Dmv Acually Answer The Phone Or Is There A Web Site. If Utah Is Not On That List Do I Have No Worries Either Way?
    Utah is a title state. You should get a title from the seller.
    Delaware is a reg state. When you sell, you give the reg and a bill of sale to the purchaser.

Thanks All. When I Registered My Tahiti. I Stated Some Concern That My Vin (hull)# Was A Number Off. And She Said Oh It Doesn't Matter This Is An Untitled Watercraft (or Boat?).

SmokinLowriderSS
    Utah is a title state. You should get a title from the seller.
    Delaware is a reg state. When you sell, you give the reg and a bill of sale to the purchaser.
    If the boat HAS a title, you really should pass that to the new owner, needed or not. Who knows where the boat will go next?

Jetaholic
    By "titled" I think you mean "documented" and "undocumented" correct?
    My understanding is that any boat with a CF ( or whatever state you happen to live in) number is an undocumented vessel.
    "Documented" vessels are boats that are built for going into international waters if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast