Thread: Help, turbocharging the jet..

Rick90lx
    My 403 is on the way out. It doesn't really have any problems per say, its just that I'm not a big fan of the Olds motor. I have nearly everything I need to put a turbocharged windsor in it. Currently I have a @ 8.5:1 351 with eagle rods and forged pistons. I'm not new to turbocharging, but putting one in a boat is a whole new challenge. The idea came to me while cleaning out the garage and realizing I had everything already there, leftovers from my mustang through the years. The headers were mustang specific shorties that were blasted and the collectors were removed. My friend has a fabrication shop and assures me there's plenty of room in there to make the crossover for a decent sized single.
    My biggest questions are about the cooling system and if its possible to exit the downpipe through the transom like it is now. My thinking is that it might be possible to split the downpipe and head that direction. That being said, if you can offer any help, suggestions and anything else you can think of I'd really appreciate it.
    As a side note, all the exhaust will be coated in a jet hot coating when the fab work is complete.

malcolm
    What kind of boat is this in?

Unchained
    My own opinion is that it is better to use two turbos, not necessarily for performance or spool up time but to keep the hot side piping to a minimum.
    That long crossover tube is going to radiate heat like you won't believe in a boat. There is no air movement like in a car.
    I have dry primary pipes and have a significant amount of heat shielding around the headers and turbos. I have not used water cooled manifolds as I was looking for maximum performance and water jacketed manifolds subtract from performance.
    You could do it but plan on making some extensive heat shielding.
    That small CI engine will have to work hard to get the boat moving.

Boostedballs
    GO FOR IT! Turbocharging a boat is easier than a car IMO. Plenty of cold water for intercoolers, plenty of engine compartment space, etc.
    Are you going with a drawthrough or blowthrough?
    Edelbrocks are easy as pie in a blowthrough. Plus you get to run BOV's and priority valves.
    I would run twins to keep things simple. You can run the down pipes through the transom, it should only effect performance when you stomp on it from a stand still. A couple of T3 Garretts from the Thunderbirds work well for small blocks in a blowthrough. 2 Garrett T3's from the early Chrysler 2.2's work well in a drawthrough. They have the carbon seal but they have a shitty turbine housing. You can swap the turbine housings from any garrett T3 with an a/r of .48 up to .63. I would upgrade to the .63 if you are going to use nitrous and use the .48's without. The turbine wheels are the same for either housing.
    Garretts are easy to rebuild and cheap. Also easy to 'dial in' because the compressor and exhaust combinations are almost endless. You can even slap on some T4 stuff if you wish. Also- laser cut stainless flanges are easy to find on ebay.
    Ebay has some stainless headers for the sbf that come from asia. They are cheap but built pretty good. They are like 150 bucks! I would run them so the collectors point to the top of the transom so your exhaust plumbing is limited, and heat as well.

Rick90lx
    I think the jethot coating and wrapping the pipes like this will keep the heat to a minimum.
    http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...ksbuild016.jpg
    I hadn't really considered doing a twin setup and hadn't looked for a carb hat with two inlets to see if they made one. I didn't plan on using an intercooler for this since I'm not shooting for insane power #'s, thats what the car is for! I'm more looking at getting into a motor I'm very familar with and with the network of friends in the mustang community, I have a nearly unlimited supply of parts. How are you guys cooling your engines?
    Also, since my exhaust exits at water level, I was a little concerned with the water coming into the downpipe at the temperatures it will be at.

Rick90lx
    What kind of boat is this in?
    An SJ Taylor

BOOGEYMAN
    [QUOTE=Boostedballs;2816292]
    Edelbrocks are easy as pie in a blowthrough. Plus you get to run BOV's and priority valves.
    QUOTE]
    Have you done an edelbrock in a BT set up? I have done a few holley's and a CSU carb now but have never seen an edelbrock done????
    Rick90lx,
    I saw your post over on www.theturboforums.com, If your going with a single just run the Master Power T70 with the .96 turbine housing. I ran one on my junk 302 in a blowthrough format and it worked great! Made 455 at the tires on only 10lbs and pump gas, plus at 565 shipped for a brand new one is cheap! Your 351 will spool that turbo awsome in a boat and will give you way more power than your after. Order an EV hat from gordon on the forum and just build your own carb out of a holley 650. Very simple and easy to tune.
    Run the aeromotive 132-02 regulator with a -8 feed and a -10 return, aeromotive a1000 pump will do the job plenty.
    As far as the down pipe and heat just run water through the down pipe, start it about 3 inches away from the turbine housing and angle it a little away from the turbo(downstreem) and you wont have any problems.
    Travis

Rick90lx
    [QUOTE=Boostedballs;2816292]
    QUOTE]
    Have you done an edelbrock in a BT set up? I have done a few holley's and a CSU carb now but have never seen an edelbrock done????
    Rick90lx,
    I saw your post over on www.theturboforums.com, If your going with a single just run the Master Power T70 with the .96 turbine housing. I ran one on my junk 302 in a blowthrough format and it worked great! Made 455 at the tires on only 10lbs and pump gas, plus at 565 shipped for a brand new one is cheap! Your 351 will spool that turbo awsome in a boat and will give you way more power than your after. Order an EV hat from gordon on the forum and just build your own carb out of a holley 650. Very simple and easy to tune.
    Run the aeromotive 132-02 regulator with a -8 feed and a -10 return, aeromotive a1000 pump will do the job plenty.
    As far as the down pipe and heat just run water through the down pipe, start it about 3 inches away from the turbine housing and angle it a little away from the turbo(downstreem) and you wont have any problems.
    Travis
    Thanks Travis, I was hoping I could get some responses in both places and bring this thing together. Its funny you mentioned the MP T70, thats exactly what I had in mind, small a/r housing for instant spooling and with keeping the revs to a max of @ 5500, it should fit the bill great. It may be a tad small for the extra cubes of the windsor, but that will help everywhere else. I've never spoken to Gordon before, but I'll look him up and see what he as to offer.
    You mentioned adding water after the downpipe, can you elaborate on that? I would think that directly injecting water at those temps would make it evaporate on contact.

BOOGEYMAN
    Just like water injected headers on a boat.....For example I am rounding up parts for a 510inch(or 540) with twins for my jet. The new headers will be dry, so where the water used to go in the headers will now go into the down pipes and through the transom. That should help with some of the heat and with the T valve there will always be just a little when idleing around(keeping them cool) and as much as you want when you mash the go pedal.
    If you set it up that way the down pipe(s) will never get scorching hot, I personally have not tested it and cant till next season but in theory it will work just fine. You will still need some nice heat shields but this should help out a lot.
    When your only spining it 5500 the MP T70 with the .96 will fit the 351 great.
    Travis