Thread: What are the chances...... Rock fall at Powell....

2Driver
    PAGE, Ariz. -- A gigantic rock slab broke off a sandstone arch at Lake Powell and smashed onto a boat, leaving one person dead and another missing.
    The National Park Service said the slab, about 250 square feet in size, fell onto the bow of the boat, capsizing it.
    Other boaters discovered the accident Friday, saying they had passed the craft 20 minutes earlier in Lake Canyon and had waved to the two people on board.
    Rangers recovered the body of a woman

RitcheyRch
    Thats wild.

Boatcop
    Was the boat a HTM? :idea:

HALLETT BOY
    Was the boat a HTM? :idea:
    A cop trying to cause trouble !!!

77charger
    seen it happen also we were in the end of a canyon and a storm came thru we went under the ez up then all of a sudden there was a thunderous sound from the water by the boats.At first i thought itwas an explosion but boats were still alfloat the bigger of the couple of rocks hit the water near the back of my uncles boat the smaller one hit the engine hatch did very minor damage.Bigger rock probably landed only a couple feet fromo boat but left a good wave too.

bruddah
    i remember this happened in mojave in gasoline alley and took out a friend of ours deck boat... also causing major damage to other boats that were tied up due to the size of the wave!

Mongo
    i remember this happened in mojave in gasoline alley and took out a friend of ours deck boat... also causing major damage to other boats that were tied up due to the size of the wave!
    I was there parked in the back of Gasoline Alley when the jumping rock in back of the cove suddenly dropped in. My Magic deck boat was brand new and about 10-12 ft away from the rock when it dropped in. The wave that was put out by the rock filled my boat up to the bottom of the seats and beached three of my buddies boats causing major damage to two of them. Everyone in the water was knocked over with a couple people out in the water pulled under by the suction of the rock dropping. We were very lucky that nobody was hurt. I now look at rocks and cliffs that I park by in a different way, including the jumping rock in Cooper Canyon which has some good cracks in it.

bruddah
    I was there parked in the back of Gasoline Alley when the jumping rock in back of the cove suddenly dropped in. My Magic deck boat was brand new and about 10-12 ft away from the rock when it dropped in. The wave that was put out by the rock filled my boat up to the bottom of the seats and beached three of my buddies boats causing major damage to two of them. Everyone in the water was knocked over with a couple people out in the water pulled under by the suction of the rock dropping. We were very lucky that nobody was hurt. I now look at rocks and cliffs that I park by in a different way, including the jumping rock in Cooper Canyon which has some good cracks in it.
    i totally agree its just a matter of time... mongo im pretty sure you know my dad... steve(candy), you guys work together. we are prob talkin about the same boats that got beat up!