Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: DIY Strut questions

Marty Gras
    "Unchained" and "Warp", I have tried to post some rough drawings over in 'HOW TO' pages and I hope you can see and understand what I'm saying. MG

Warp Factor
    MG. I couldn't find the drawings.
    I PM'd you my email address in case you want to send them that way.

Weaverman
    MG -
    I couldn't find your sketches either, and also PMed you with my email. I've been reading and pondering this thread as well.

steelcomp
    Steelcomp,
    I don't know if it's wrong or right, but I lengthened the strakes on my 20 by taking the hull down to bare glass and laminating completely new strakes that were basically hand shaped. It was suck ass work, and knowing what I know now, I'd really check into the hardwood core method. But I was paranoid about delam/separation, and didn't want to have to de-rig the family boat in a season or two in order to flip it for repairs. If you want more info, check out this link (http://www.familyandperformanceboati...ildupPt5_2.pdf).
    Like I say, there are other ways to do it, but if you're down with suffering through lots of sanding/grinding, this actually worked out for me.
    ChrisThanks Chris. I think if I was to do this, I migtht make something up out of hardwood and attach it to the bottom and test it, then once it proves itself, do it in glass. Maybe a foam core w/ several layers of glass. Who knows at this point. I'm still itching from making the bottom flat. :cry:

steelcomp
    This has been great listening and learning about the bottoms of your Daytonas, but back to the strut question, and about angle and placement. I was told that one of the ways to determin both was that the prop shaft, if xtended the length of the boat, should be such that it would intersect the bow very close to the nose of the boat. Any truth to this? Using that, and knowing the distance of the strut from the transom would dictate the angle.
    Also, regarding the construction of the strut. Interestingly enough, I'm doing some fabrication work for a guy who used to make the struts for DiMarco himself, (for some of his runner bottoms) years ago. I found that out by accident, and had all the info right under my nose and didn't even know it.

steveo143
    Who did he work for? I have an 11/8" strut off of my 21 DiMarco 21 that broke @ 100+mph that you might want to look at. I added 4' to the center lifting strakes of the 21 DiMarco recently using most of the same methods as in the the link posted. Only difference was the boat was in an area that I couldn't flip it so I did it on my back with the boat lifted a couple of feet off the trailer. I lenghtened the strakes at the suggestion of George aka Marti Gras and am considering cutting in a Delta pad, also his suggestion.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011