Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet boat EFI

BigBlockBaja
    Just sitting around here drinking some beer and was looking at some lightning headers. Noticed they offer an O2 sensor option. Got me thinking of looking into EFI instead of carburation. Any one have any knowledge or ideas on this? I think it would be cool to take the lap top out on the boat and tune it instead of messing with carbs. I'm much better at computers than adjusting a carb.
    Your thoughts?

sstjet
    Unchained knows about efi, he has a turbo Efi Big block in his boat. It runs like a raped ape.

Two things. First, there are factory jet boats out there with EFI-equipped Mercruiser engines. Second, EFI does not "require" an o2 sensor to operate.

TJS
    My winter project is EFI and 8-71-ing my boat with a bugcatcher set up. I have talked to a tuner and he states you do not need an 02 but when on the dyno he would need a wide band 02 for logging data so that he can build all the tables. Once the mapping and tables are done the 02 comes out a plug goes in its place and then you can inject water to the headers. I am going to machine my fuel injector plate and fuel rails. I am looking into mega squirt, Big Stuff or FAST system.
    T.J.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/871_blower06.jpg

JAY4SPEED
    My winter project is EFI and 8-71-ing my boat with a bugcatcher set up. I have talked to a tuner and he states you do not need an 02 but when on the dyno he would need a wide band 02 for logging data so that he can build all the tables. Once the mapping and tables are done the 02 comes out a plug goes in its place and then you can inject water to the headers. I am going to machine my fuel injector plate and fuel rails. I am looking into mega squirt, Big Stuff or FAST system.
    T.J.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/871_blower06.jpg
    T.J. were you going to machine your own fuel rails and injector plate just because you wanted to? I wasn't sure if you knew that you can purchase an injector plate and fuel rails from BDS and Kinsler fuel injection already outfitted for blown EFI with a bugcatcher. I'm going the exact same route myself If you are going to machine your own just because you can, I'd call that bad ass. Nice work you have on your website BTW.
    Jay

Unchained
    Just sitting around here drinking some beer and was looking at some lightning headers. Noticed they offer an O2 sensor option. Got me thinking of looking into EFI instead of carburation. Any one have any knowledge or ideas on this? I think it would be cool to take the lap top out on the boat and tune it instead of messing with carbs. I'm much better at computers than adjusting a carb. Your thoughts?
    Once when I was tuning on my setup with the laptop while idleing along in the boat someone yelled out, HOW ARE THOSE STOCKS DOING ?
    True you only need the O2 sensor for tuning but if you could leave it in all the time and run closed loop would be the ultimate setup. I would like to run closed loop but my Haltech E6K won't read a wide band O2 sensor so I run right off the maps open loop. The newer model Haltech will read a wide band sensor as will the Big stuff or the FAST.
    If you are going to use a bug catcher for EFI you may want to disable the center butterfly like BDS does to get some resolution to the throttle.
    There are some throttle bodies available that will directly replace a carburetor. The injectors plug right into the base and they have the TPS right on them. They would bolt right on the blower. Sanger Rat sent me a link to that web site a while back. They were a fraction of the cost of the BDS unit.

biggraypig
    There are some throttle bodies available that will directly replace a carburetor. The injectors plug right into the base and they have the TPS right on them. They would bolt right on the blower. Sanger Rat sent me a link to that web site a while back. They were a fraction of the cost of the BDS unit.
    Not to hijack, but do you still have the link? I would be interested.

I will let you know how mine works out by spring.
    I will be running a Multiport with a 1000cfm throttle body and a Haltech E6X
    ecm. I plan on running in closed loop. I still have alot of learning to go.
    this will be on a 502 with a 5 psi boost from an intercooled procharger. I cant wait for the boating season to end so I can tear into it.

here is a pic of the intake and billet throttle body I will be using

I run Accel gen7 on my boat w/ a bug and 16 injectors, work great

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast