Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can A Pump Be Matched to HP Just with Stator Change?

Michael2000
    I spoke to a guy at Panther, and they apparently only have one impeller. I asked him how the same pump with the same impeller could be made to work with a 300 hp engine, and also a 500 hp engine, without a huge change in RPM. He said they do it by changing the stator. He says they have one customer running 112 mph with a 900 hp engine, but he didn't say what RPM he was running. I guess I'm not following this. If the impeller only "bites" a certain amount of water per revolution, and both engines run at the same RPM, how is the stator going to make enough of a difference, especially without losing a lot of efficiency. Perhaps someone could clarify this for me.
    Michael

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I spoke to a guy at Panther, and they apparently only have one impeller. I asked him how the same pump with the same impeller could be made to work with a 300 hp engine, and also a 500 hp engine, without a huge change in RPM. He said they do it by changing the stator. He says they have one customer running 112 mph with a 900 hp engine, but he didn't say what RPM he was running. I guess I'm not following this. If the impeller only "bites" a certain amount of water per revolution, and both engines run at the same RPM, how is the stator going to make enough of a difference, especially without losing a lot of efficiency. Perhaps someone could clarify this for me.
    Michael
    i would love to see that panther thats running 112

SmokinLowriderSS
    Doesn't smell right to me either.

Longstr
    I have been told the same thing when I called and talked to them. I would like to see it as well...

I have been told the same thing when I called and talked to them. I would like to see it as well...
    I'd have to agree with Smokin'& 396 here... Tom
    SmokinLowriderSS, "Doesn't smell right to me either".
    396, "i would love to see that panther thats running 112"

based on the r's of my old panther 6k=60mph ,i'd say that guy is turnin about 11.5k

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Im not doggin' panther pumps by any means. I just NEVER heard of anything like that!!!! If they were doing that then they would be all over the track. I go to the races faithfully twice a year and pay close attention to EVERYTHING. i have never seen a panther out there........

RCB19
    What's a stator?

Longstr
    What's a stator?
    Panthers complicated name for BOWL...

texas-19
    Michael
    My first jet had a panther pump on it.This was before i knew about the hot boat forum.So i was real green.I could not go over 68 mph without the pump cavitating.I called panther marine and got the same song only i fell for it.$3000.00 dollars later i was still going 68 mph.He had all kinds of "ideas" but nothing worked.He basically said your SOL.
    Bottom line if you don't want to go faster than 70 MPH the panther is fine.
    I HAVE NOT HEARD SOMEONE ON HERE ACTUALLY SAY THEY HAVE GONE OVER 70 MPH WITH A PANTHER ONLY HEAR -SAY.
    Everytime i hear "panther" i get a burning sensation around my wategate.:devil:
    I sold the boat as fast as i could after that and just took the loss.
    Don't matter what HP you throw at it,70 MPH is it.
    If you stay under 475 to 500 HP you'll be fine,just depends on what you want.
    I'd like the guys name and number that is running 112,bet you can't get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast