I need some help. I have a 1999 5.7 volvo penta, I blew head gasket last year. I had a local machine shop repair the heads and the block. While we had the engine apart I decided to try and increase the horsepower. I had the machinist put in bigger valves when he fixed the head. We also put in Kelly racing pistons, a comp cam, double timing sprocket and chain, and high volume oil pump.
Maxium horsepower with old cam was @ 5000 rpms
Maxium horsepower with new cam should be @ 5200 rpms
I am running same prop.
The machinist said I should be somewhere around 360 horsepower. The factory rating was 280 horsepower. When I bought the boat new in 1999, I could have (and probably should have) ordered it with the 7.4 liter. There should be no issues with the boat design and horsepower. I have a Fourwinns 220 Horizon.
The engine started on the first crank. The boat preformed about the same as before the blown gasket. After a day on the water the back of the boat was covered with a black film.
I took the boat to a performance shop and was told that all my sensors are fine, engine is runnning rich, I need to reprogram my ECM. He said he could program what I needed, but Volvo has a password protecting the program. I contacted Volvo and was told that under no circumstance do they custom any ECM's.
Does anyone know how I can find an ECM that will work?