Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Single plane intake manifold

cfm
    Anybody else lost on this build or am I just having senior moments ?

GUGS102
    I have a 489 with ported 049s and a .622/246 silgle pattern solid roller. I am running a air gap dual plane on it currently. It's in a jet so right now I am only turning 5200 at 76MPH. I know, I know, leaving a bunch on the table.
    That is what the bottle is for. I have a dart oval port and have not tried it yet. I was told not to bother until I start spinning it over 5500.
    Maybe I'll try the single plane and see what it does.
    No expert either but that is a lot of weight to spin with a flat tappet. I'd say spend for the solid roller set up now, you can reuse all of it and sell the cam for one that matches your heads down the road. Come one, what's another $1000 for the short block.

Sleeper CP

Sleeper

steelcomp
    I have a 489 with ported 049s and a .622/246 silgle pattern solid roller. I am running a air gap dual plane on it currently. It's in a jet so right now I am only turning 5200 at 76MPH. I know, I know, leaving a bunch on the table.
    That is what the bottle is for. I have a dart oval port and have not tried it yet. I was told not to bother until I start spinning it over 5500.
    No expert either but that is a lot of weight to spin with a flat tappet. I'd say spend for the solid roller set up now, you can reuse all of it and sell the cam for one that matches your heads down the road. Come one, what's another $1000 for the short block.No reason to run a dual plane on a jet. That Dart will be an upgrade for sure.

steelcomp
    LOL...what build? :jawdrop:

cfm
    Sleeper and Steel - thanks. I was starting to feel as old as I look. LOL.
    ZRction - for anyone to help you correctly we need as much 100% fact as possible. One little piece of misinformation or even a typo can lead you down the wrong path of 'bad suggestions.'
    GUGS102 - With that cam + cids I'd put that Dart on there. Add to that, with plate nitrous systems I'd much rather have that single plane on there. Dual plane intakes have much larger fuel distribution inconsistencies. Also, if you can raise the rpm of that engine by another 500-700rpm or so it should really pull hard.

River Rat 005
    No expert either but that is a lot of weight to spin with a flat tappet. I'd say spend for the solid roller set up now, you can reuse all of it and sell the cam for one that matches your heads down the road. Come one, what's another $1000 for the short block.
    I have a .030 454 with a similar cam. I took off a Weiand dual plane and put on the dart oval. I picked up 300 rpm. Went from 5500 to 5800.

GUGS102
    I have a .030 454 with a similar cam. I took off a Weiand dual plane and put on the dart oval. I picked up 300 rpm. Went from 5500 to 5800.
    That is a great gain. At roughly 20hp per 100rpm. 60Hp for an hours worth of work. Where do I sign up?
    Maybe I'll get a fire under my rear and run it Sat morning as is, then change it out and run again. I'm only 20 minutes from the lake, that would make a good lunch break.
    Other difference is the density altitude between last I ran it (Labor Day) and now. At that lake 2700ft and 100+ degrees it ran 73 at 5000.
    Here in phx same combo ran 76 at 5200. At the river it runs 77-78 at about the same RPM (too little to make a clear distinction)
    These are all based on my in dash GPS with recall button (what a cool toy that is)

cfm
    Don't get too excited, or as excited, yet. He said Weiand dual plane without mentioning the model. If an Action Plus, that would totally explain it. If he said Stealth than this is more comparable, but not quiet as powerful as the Air Gap RPM.
    The new this year Weiand Stealth Air Strike intakes are every bit as powerful as the Air Gap RPM's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234