Thread: Turkish Armenian Bill

Old Texan
    Rather than get the politics going over in the Sandbar thread, I though this would go better here.
    As I surmised about he timing of the proposed bill regarding genocide of Armenians by the Turks in the early 20th century, the Turks also view the US Democrats as using the bill to harm US-Turkish relations in order to screw up the Ira war effort.
    Analysts say Turkey could be less restrained about defying the United States because of a congressional committee's approval of a resolution labeling the mass killings of Armenians around the time of World War I as genocide.
    "Democrats are harming the future of the United States and are encouraging anti-American sentiments," Erdogan said. Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives support the resolution.
    Erdogan said Turkey was ready to sacrifice good ties with Washington if necessary.
    "Let it snap from wherever it gets thin," Erdogan said, using a Turkish expression that means breaking ties with someone or something.
    At issue in the resolution is the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks. Turkey denies that the deaths constituted genocide, saying the toll has been inflated, and those killed were victims of civil war and unrest that killed Muslims as well as the overwhelmingly Christian Armenians.
    Turkey, a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington for consultations and warned of serious repercussions if Congress passes the resolution.
    http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editoria...&rg=blsadstrgt

ULTRA26 # 1
    Rather than get the politics going over in the Sandbar thread, I though this would go better here.
    As I surmised about he timing of the proposed bill regarding genocide of Armenians by the Turks in the early 20th century, the Turks also view the US Democrats as using the bill to harm US-Turkish relations in order to screw up the Ira war effort.
    http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editoria...&rg=blsadstrgt
    Tex,
    Should the US view this issue differenly than what occurred in Germany or any place else in the world, in an attempt to protect current foriegn relations with Turkey? If so, why?

eliminatedsprinter
    Tex,
    Should the US view this issue differenly than what occurred in Germany or any place else in the world, in an attempt to protect current foriegn relations with Turkey? If so, why?
    Of course we have to view it differently it happened loger ago and under an entirely different national regime (the Ottoman Empire)....Should we denounce Italy, for enslaving Christians and making them fight lions for sport, under the Roman Empire???

ULTRA26 # 1
    Of course we have to view it differently it happened loger ago and under an entirely different national regime (the Ottoman Empire)....Should we denounce Italy, for enslaving Christians and making them fight lions for sport, under the Roman Empire???
    After a little more research into this issue, it seem obvious that genocide occurred. I don't think that it matters under what regime this occurred and I also don't believe that making is official by resolution is necessary. However, Turkey's current Govt should not have any role in the US's decision .

asch
    Most of our WWII vets were just being born during the time of this genocide.
    As ES
    pointed out, should we condemn other empires that were WAY before our time?
    I'm not excusing murdering innocents, but c'mon, that began in 1915. Why should 21st century America shake it's fist at a country that is NOW our ally? I think the issue would be better served in the British parliament. Besides given the time frame, Britain has been fighting Islamists a lot longer than America has.
    I just think it's just wedge driving by those that oppose our our alliance with Turkey. The murderers working for the Ottomans are long gone, however they're decendents live on which is what we're engaged with right now.

Old Texan
    My point has nothing whatsoever to do with what happened. I believe the genocide happened and I beleive the Turks, not the US need to apologize.
    My point is the timing of the bill is a political move by the Dems to sabotage the Iraq war effort. This based on the issue having been on the table for years, why "now" is the bill being introduced by the Dems??????
    Tail wagging the Dog scenario as I see it. And I'm ready to hear the "resident defender" pop in with his 2 cents on why am I blaming the Dems per usual. I'd expect nothing less.

ULTRA26 # 1
    My point has nothing whatsoever to do with what happened. I believe the genocide happened and I beleive the Turks, not the US need to apologize.
    My point is the timing of the bill is a political move by the Dems to sabotage the Iraq war effort. This based on the issue having been on the table for years, why "now" is the bill being introduced by the Dems??????
    Tail wagging the Dog scenario as I see it. And I'm ready to hear the "resident defender" pop in with his 2 cents on why am I blaming the Dems per usual. I'd expect nothing less.
    Yep, it's those damn Dems trying to undermine the troops are ruin our effort in Iraq.
    For everying that is wrong the Dems are at fault. An easy way to live.

eliminatedsprinter
    After a little more research into this issue, it seem obvious that genocide occurred. I don't think that it matters under what regime this occurred and I also don't believe that making is official by resolution is necessary. However, Turkey's current Govt should not have any role in the US's decision .
    Of course it is obvious. Who here doubts it?
    Once again it is Congress doing something that is not their job and the timing (when our relations with Turkey are already strained) is terrible. It is either a shrewd attempt to undermine our current diplomatic efforts with Turkey or it is incredibly stupid. Can you offer another logical reason for the timing, after all, this happened ninty years ago, under an old empire that dosen't exist anymore, and it has been an issue of discussion and debate for at least 30 years now....I first remember hearing about it in the 1970s. Why is congress having this symbolic vote now. Are they hoping that they can paint those who have enough sense not to support this, at this sensitive time, as being pro genocide???
    P.S. This gesture against the current government of Turkey seems a bit lame esp in the light of the fact that we went to war against the Ottomans and kicked their a$$ and broke up their empire since then. Should we also pass resolutions against the Balkin states, Jordan etc and all the other new countries that were also part of the Ottoman Empire back then? After all, the current Jordanians are no more or less guilty than the current Turks are.

ULTRA26 # 1
    Of course it is obvious. Who here doubts it.
    Once again it is Congress doing something that is not their job and the timing (when our relations with Turkey are already strained) is terrible. It is either a shrewd attempting to undermine our current diplomatic efforts with Turkey or it is incredibly stupid. Can you offer another logical reason for the timing, after all, this happened ninty years ago, under an old empire that dosen't exist anymore, and it has been an issue of discussion and debate for at least 30 years now....I first remember hearing about it in the 1970s. Why is congress having this symbolic vote now. Are they hoping that they can paint those who have enough sense not to support this, at this sensitive time, as being pro genocide???
    Seems to be a great deal of this going on these days.

Old Texan
    Of course it is obvious. Who here doubts it.
    Once again it is Congress doing something that is not their job and the timing (when our relations with Turkey are already strained) is terrible. It is either a shrewd attempting to undermine our current diplomatic efforts with Turkey or it is incredibly stupid. Can you offer another logical reason for the timing, after all, this happened ninty years ago, under an old empire that dosen't exist anymore, and it has been an issue of discussion and debate for at least 30 years now....I first remember hearing about it in the 1970s. Why is congress having this symbolic vote now. Are they hoping that they can paint those who have enough sense not to support this, at this sensitive time, as being pro genocide???
    My thoughts exactly ES. I don't want to think the Dems or anyone in our government would resort to such treachery, but the old sayin' that if it quacks like a duck, and it walks like a duck.......:idea: