Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1990's BMW 325i opinions

Xlration Marine
    Another quick note. The e30 also came in a 320i model some with a 4 and a few with a six. The 4's were bought up by BMW, with a bunch of miles on them 50k-100k. These engines had a good seasoned block. And?? Well they used them in the Formula 1 cars, tubo charged. They did dyno test's, with pulls over 1100 horse power. Not bad out of a 2 littler four banger. A 2.8 is a 2.5 with a diesel crank. And the 3.0 puts out the same power as the old M3 e36. Not much more than the 2.5. And if you look around maxbimmer you will see diesel powered 5's putting out 1000 horse power, what a tire roaster.

HALLETT BOY
    Next time your at your local drive-through, note how many used high-end car
    owners have to open the door to talk to the clown...their power windows don't work ! They cost too much to fix !

Xlration Marine
    Mine worked, let it go with a 170,000 miles on it, secound owner. Open all the windows and sun roof. Put the key in,lock it, hold it and they will all shut at the same time.
    I was watching the TODAY show with Briant Gummball (yes gummball). His bimmer was stollen. He said " do you know what BMW stands for". Katie Kuric said "NO". He said "Break My Window".

maxwedge
    I just looked up "BMW power window motor" in ebay and came up with about 10 different 318/325 window motors all between $10-20 with nobody bidding on them either, so doesn't really seem like a hot item. Like I said people don't know how to fix the stuff and it cost $700 at the dealer, $10 on ebay. Power windows wear out after a several thousand uses, happens to every make and model. No manufactuers power windows last forever. If that's the biggest problem, I'm very non-concerned.

AZKC
    Go with an E36, with a M50 motor
    Where the hell is Ziggy

Xlration Marine
    Go with an E36, with a M50 motor
    Where the hell is Ziggy
    No! Bad AC, and bad rear strut towers, they break. The shock will punch right through into the car. Go with the e30. Get a used motor, M50 if you want or the 2.8 or 3.0. Must be out of a 5 series, oil pan and cross member are the same, unlike the 3's. Or just put the E36 M engine in it. And if you want to get nuts about it drop in a 350 or 400 small block cheby. You will have to take the power break booster and move it to the front, look under the hood of a 5 and you will see what I'm talking about. Now you will have a SCREAMER. They fit. Just stick with the stock 150 hp m20 and drive the wheels off it.

maxwedge
    Okay, how did we go from cheap beater/dailey driver to swapping in small block chevy motors?
    Actually come to think of it, just about every vehichle I own does seem to accidently wind up modified or hot rodded or completely disassembled laying around the garage for two years, somehow or another, even if I swear I'm not going to touch it... carry on.

hazard
    I owned an older BMW and am also pretty mechanical (built my own rockcrawling jeep, etc). I found that parts for these are much more expensive than american cars (which is to be expected) and they are complicated to work on.
    There is a large enthusiest base for these. Alot of information on the internet on how to fix them, etc. If you get into the years that have onboard computers though, then you are opening up a whole new can of worms.
    I think they are great cars, but when things break, they are complicated and expensive. Not too much more complicated than say a honda, but just different.

maxwedge
    In light of recent BMW related threads, now seemes like a good time to bump this thread for more opinions.

moparjet
    I just looked up "BMW power window motor" in ebay and came up with about 10 different 318/325 window motors all between $10-20 with nobody bidding on them either, so doesn't really seem like a hot item. Like I said people don't know how to fix the stuff and it cost $700 at the dealer, $10 on ebay. Power windows wear out after a several thousand uses, happens to every make and model. No manufactuers power windows last forever. If that's the biggest problem, I'm very non-concerned.
    every bmw has diff. problems. if you buy one check all suspension parts they like to go bad.. if you have any problems let me now..i work for bmw as a tech. i will help you any way i can. and you are a fellow mopar fan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123