Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damn 455......... POS

dgie
    Well took the boat out today and now I have water in the oil...again. This will be the third time for this motor. I am not sure if it is a blown head gasket or what. Hopefully not a cracked block. The motor was running like shit thats when I descided to check the dipstick sure enough water. Well if this motor is crap, I think I will cut my losses and maybe either switch to chevy big block or small block. I like the small block for a couple of reasons. One is for the fuel economy and another is because you can rev them higher. One drawback is torque. What kind of speeds could I expect to achieve wth a SBC coupled with a 12wj does anyone know. The Boat is relatively light, not sure on exact figures though and it is very low profile.

Floored
    http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../148_0306_406/ try reading this very mild buildup eek! this engine really dont got squat for parts but it would probably out run ( dare I say it ) a mild 455 olds and last a while too. just a thought

hot for teacher
    I did a 383 for my heavy family boat. Nothing particularly earth-shattering (10:1, Comp 270 Marine, S/r Torquer heads, forged bottom,RPM Air Gap, Bigs 750 vacuum,etc). It dynoed at 400 HP at 5400, over 400 ft/lbs from 2500 through 5200. It pusghes me at about 60 which acceptable acceleration. Its certainly no Rat, but planty good and bullet-proof. I just wanted to boat!! Steve

FastRat1
    ck out the ZZ4 crate engines from Summit raceing
    www.summitracing.com
    Ron

AZKC
    Mine is still in time out, I'm on my third engine this year also. Starting to think about getting going on it but not quite yet.
    I feel your pain
    KC

victorfb
    oh crap, i am so sorry to hear about your missfortune dgie. i cant imagine the frustration your dealing with. i really thought you were going to beat it this time. it seemed like you were really taking your time, researching all you could, and taking each step with patience and doing it right. and the suka just craps out again. DAMN.
    i can understand why you want to trash the project and swap to chevy, just remember it can happen there too. as for the small VS big blocks, i would go ahead and do the BBC. new parts are expensive for both (more so for BBC)but im betting you will be able to find ALOT more used parts for the BBC than you would the small block. it might actually be cheaper in the long run. motor mounts, headers/logs, driveline couplers, ect ect ect. id think you would have to almost buy all new for the small block.
    i know you just want to yank the 455 and toss it, but i would first find out what went wrong and then wiegh the options. good luck man, and let us know what you find out.

malcolm
    Good advise, I'm with victorfb!
    Only problem my Olds is giving me is exhaust leaks. I think my logs have been surfaced too many times.

victorfb
    ive got an extra set of logs here if yours are unsalvageable. with risers still atached.

txboatnut
    I would check the timing cover or the water pump block off. That is where I found my leak.

Taylorman
    malcolm:
    Good advise, I'm with victorfb!
    Only problem my Olds is giving me is exhaust leaks. I think my logs have been surfaced too many times. Malcom,
    I was fighting exhaust leaks and recently bought some Red Loctite brand gasket sealant and used it on my exhaust. I works great, no more leaks. I got a deal on a case. Let me know if you can't find any.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast