Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damn 455......... POS

dgie
    Moneypitt I do not know why they are pitted, but they are. I used all new lifters and new cam. I also know that I am tired of dumping money in the motor. I descided to put a cap on it. I already have the lifters. If it is going to require anything more then new gaskets , new lifters , and fresh oil. I am going to scrap the motor. Push the boat to the back take a long break and start searching for a Chevy motor for it. It is not only frustartion, but it is also a serious loss of money. Like they say you can only polish a teard so much.
    [ August 26, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: dgie ]

Floored
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...PHR_Fortified/ in this article they show alot of olds stuff and where the restrictors are found, good basic stuff. if the lifters are pitted on the sides thats ok. on the bottom of the lifter is not ok. Did you find anything that looked like it was leaking yet?

Back Forty
    I think the problem is the owner of this boat and not the engine.
    How is it that a bone stock 455 with all of the berkley cooling and exhaust, iron intake, factory cam, no mondello goodies, a Quadrajet carb and HEI ignition in an old clapped out glastron with front mounted tank, a massive amount of ply wood upolstered interior blah blah blah can bump along at near 60mph all day and your "POS 455" is crap? What did you say your boat will do? 40 something?
    You said it a long time ago and now it's "I hate this Olds" all of the time...
    My stocker (BONE STOCK!!!) ran 57mph by gps at just a hair under 4400 rpms last night all evening long with two of us, the tools and most of a full tank of gas. No cam, No stupid Holley carb, and firstly no shitty work...
    sbc..? HA HA HA..! sleeping
    Dgie, I don't mean to start shit but your talking it for sure. argue

FastRat1
    AMEN.....needs to get a manual and read!!...there are alot of people in these forums that run a 455 (stock, mild & wild) and ur the only one thats haveing alot of trouble...seems to me...u need to go bk to school and learn how to put a motor together...i'm not trying to rag on u...but...if they will run 100k+ in a car...they gotta run more than 1 season + in a boat!
    btw...nice bike BackForty

dgie
    sorry dude, I never said that I know everything about these motors. I am learning I admit it, It seems to me everyone was at this point, unless they poped out of the womb with a wrench in their hand.

victorfb
    hey dgie, please take the critisism with a grain of salt. there are alot more people with the same and even worse problems with thier motors. they are just not on here telling thier stories. i think its great that you are trying and unfortunaly learning the hard way. we have all been there. it IS possible that somewere down the line that you made a mystake, but we are not perfect. if you were trying to make it a living, id say yes, school, books, alot of research and hands on would be the way to go. but this is your (and many of ours) hobbie. it can be frustrating, but just think when you do finally get it right and everything is perfect how excited your going to be. not everyone will have that experience in thier lifetime.

Floored
    At least when you finally get it ironed out and set-up you can say that you did it and you will have learned from it and be able to pass it on to someone else having trouble or even help someone who may be having trouble out on a lake. Sure beats saying,Gee I bought it this way. there are a lot of people on lots of boards asking for and recieving help, some good and some bad. Boats are for fun and I don't mind working on mine, it beats TV.I just colorsanded and buffed and rewired the rear of my boat this week, why?, I felt like it. Relax, have a Root Beer and go 1 part at a time. The only time to hurry is if the boat dies and you see a sign saying NIAGRA FALLS 1/4 MILE! eek!

victorfb
    oh cmon. you got 1/4 mile... no need to hurry, sit back and enjoy the float for a bit. besides, how bad could it really be? its just water.

dgie
    No that’s cool I am not pissed at them. They are bashing me because I am bashing 455's its understandable. I am sorry I am airing my dirty laundry on the board I will try not to do it in the future, frustration gets the better of me sometimes. I did say Try right? Yes it does keep me busy and that’s a good thing, my sister likes it because she sees me more (boats at her place) Kind of making up for the long time I was away in the military. I wish I could get my hands on a T58-ge-16 hell at least that’s something I went to school to learn about. Of course it was one of my jobs the 12 years I was in the Marine Corps. It would really move that boat, I figure I could break my all time record of 49 mph with that motor.

Back Forty
    dgie, I mean to be constructive about my critisisim. You have made it sound as though tossing achevy in will fix your ill. I think on more than one occasion you have made it sound as though your pump is loose as hell. 49 MPH at 4300rpms in a very light boat. Why are you grumbling about it? How is a chevy supposed to do any better when the foundation of your boat isn't even up to snuff? Stop where your at, do a proper rebuild of the pump and engine. You'll be over this and out enjoying your boat instead of experiencing dumb problems all of the time. Sounds like the turd is your whole driveline. It also sounds as though you know all of this already and are doing the drunk denial about it. And yes It was the Olds thing although I love the chevy's too. Just something like logic was kicking me about the situation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast