Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damn 455......... POS

Taylorman
    Floored:
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...PHR_Fortified/ in this article they show alot of olds stuff and where the restrictors are found, good basic stuff. if the lifters are pitted on the sides thats ok. on the bottom of the lifter is not ok. Did you find anything that looked like it was leaking yet? Hey Floored, the author of that article is Mike Finnegan. Did you realize that is Cyclone?

dgie
    fastrat1 thanks for the pm, no problem. In response to some of these posts. There are no real manuals for a 455, just a couple general ones such as Hanes etc. I also have the Mondello one that is even more useless. I went to the dealer to see if they could get their hands on a service manual for the motor. No go too old,Whenever I buy a a new car I buy the authentic service manual from the dealer for the perticular car that I own. In these manuals the car that I own is the only car that is in the manual. If it existed for a 455 I would have no questions for the board. When dealing with the motor I generally go the the ROP board and hit up people with questions there. Not to say they can not be answered here. I am just learning and have not given up on the boat. I am going to get it running and enjoy it a little more. The motor will be changed though, and not to a small block, I will go Big Block (thanks for the pm Frosty Pop) I already have someone hunting one down as we speak. I feel parts will be easier to find then olds stuff, and not to mention cheaper.

Floored
    No I didn't know it was cyclone. I just saw that it was an informative article for someone wanting a reliable motor. Good article Mike! I don't think Dgie is going to give up, I got a hunch he's going to find it and get some summer cruisin in yet. If my olds dies I cant say I won't switch to a different brand, it all depends on the mood that I would be in. I went through this learning curve in late 60's and early 70's and had friends there to help me, so now I try to help back a little.

red rocker fan
    I have an olds also an lost a rod bearing. found out my basset t was full of shit. Also you want to make sure that the time cover is sealed real good. Dont use that copper gasket shit, use the black rvt gasket maker an let it set up for 24 hrs.Also the intake gasket, use the black rvt on both sides of the gaskets. you dont need a alot.an if your still getting water in your oil flush it with karasen an cheak your compression an if your week on one cylender you might have a valve sticking. but cheak yor basset T first. you shouldent be able to blow thew it with your mouth. it should hold 9 PSI befor opening. good luck . 455 olds are good motors if their assembled right.

HotDogz
    Fought water in my oil last year and chnged the intake gaskets 3 times before I had the intake looked at. Was warped on both sides nearest the exhaust crossover even tho they were blocked. Once I changed the intake, no more water. Just somewhere else to look. Good luck.

Wally_Gator
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...PHR_Fortified/ in this article they show alot of olds stuff and where the restrictors are found, good basic stuff. if the lifters are pitted on the sides thats ok. on the bottom of the lifter is not ok. Did you find anything that looked like it was leaking yet?
    Floored,
    The restrictors in the lifter bores for this project were put there for a solid lifter cam. If you were to put them in on a hydraulic lifter cam the lifters may never pump up enough to take out the excessive lash.
    Those running Hydraulic lifters should use the restricted pushrods if they need to limit the oiling to the top of the engine.

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
    Check or change the power valve in your holley. From what I understand if it back fires out the carb the can blow real easy. That could have been makin it run like crap. As for the motor don't give up I went through hell and high water to get the 455 back in buisness. I mean all the bolt on crap wasn't bolt on we had to modify and adapt them just to get them to work. But that has more to do with crappy enginieering in the aftermarket. :idea:

GlastronGuy
    ...I also have the Mondello one that is even more useless...
    That's just silly.
    Our motor was built according to Joe's advise (Tech Ref. Man.) It has held up for 5 seasons so far and is run hard.
    61.7 GPS at 4200 RPM with a Q-Jet, Pack A Jet logs in a deep V Glastron/Carlson.

dgie
    One note on this thread is this problem was solved several months ago, actually I forgot about this thread. The problem with the water in my oil turned out to be a shitty rebuild by the rebuilder I used originally for this motor. It turned out they tried to fix a cracked head, without fully knowing how to do it. I sent the motor to another rebuilder and he went thru it. He found that the head was cracked and showed me where they tried to fix it. I gave him a spare set of heads and he rebuilt them for me and the problem was solved, no more water in the oil.....so onto the fuel pressure problem
    That was then this is now. I love having a 455 in my boat, see what a difference almost a year makes but if it blows I may be calling it a POS again :burningm:

malcolm
    Yeah, Hotdogz why are we going back through a year old thread?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast