Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So. Cal Fires - something to think about

gramps
    Maybe it's time for answers to a couple of question.
    1 - Why are there less than 20 heavy air tankers today throughout the U.S. when a few years back there were 60+?
    2 - Why have the tree huggers won the war on "no more fire breaks in Southern California"?
    Heavy air support and fire breaks would not stop what is happening right now but it sure would help a lot.

RitcheyRch
    I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Apparently LA County has asked for an additonal air support to the tune of 20 aircraft and are only going to get 5 because of the additional fires. This is just one big recipe for disaster...Too many fires over too wide an area with far too few resources...Hope everyone impacted by all of this gets through it as best as possible...

gramps
    I sure as hell hope that if they catch the sobs that started any of these fires they make an example out of them.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I sure as hell hope that if they catch the sobs that started any of these fires they make an example out of them.
    According to the media, so take that FWIW, the only one that is known to be arson is the one in OC...

essexjet
    1 - Why are there less than 20 heavy air tankers today throughout the U.S. when a few years back there were 60+?
    2 - Why have the tree huggers won the war on "no more fire breaks in Southern California"?
    Heavy air support and fire breaks would not stop what is happening right now but it sure would help a lot.
    Majority of the air tankers come from CDF/CalFire and with statewide cut back and retirement of the 60 year old aircraft without replacement hurts.

SB
    My sympathies.
    The arguments for and against letting fires run their natural course seem to leave out the fact that arson is not natural.

HPBoats83
    I was just wondering if anybody is a volunteer firefighter? If not does anybody know anybody who is a volunteer? I think I am going to sign up, for me it has been one of those things I have talked about but never done anything about.

clownpuncher
    Some policital reasons, but, from what I understand, the $$$ are not that obtainable to purchase new fixed wing aircraft. The aircraft used years ago, typically retired military aircraft retrofitted for the fire service, have been taken out of service due to myriad reasons
    Sqeeky wheel
    My thought

totenhosen
    I was just wondering if anybody is a volunteer firefighter? If not does anybody know anybody who is a volunteer? I think I am going to sign up, for me it has been one of those things I have talked about but never done anything about.
    You could probably check with the Forest Service. To be actually on the lines I'm sure they send you through training/bootcamp with all the teenage felons on their last strike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast