Thread: ECM reprograming

kenneth n
    Going to change my heads and cam next year who dose a good reprograming job.

paradigm shift
    I think you have 3 choices. Depends on what your comfort level is on how much you want to do and what yor build expectations are. EFI engine upgrades have to be planned or your in for trouble.
    1. Go with a proven package so ECM program is known.
    2. After mods are done have it dyno tuned and then final tuning in the boat. My be able to just do tune in the boat ans skip dyno. Pick your parts carefully if you go this route.
    3. Do the Arizona Speed and marine computer route and do your own programing. Again choose mod parts carefully and install O2 sensor for tuning.
    Just my opinion. EFI is great but in a boat you have no feedback on O2 readings in most all cases so mapping is preset for given conditions. Tune up is CRITICAL no margin for error or your asking for trouble.
    What is your base engine now and what are your goals?

kenneth n
    My base engine is a 1999-502 MPI. I have a set of Dart Iron Eagle 308 heads, and a Tylor Crockett cam. I all so have a full MSD ignition system and a set of Cyclone SS hearders,and a large size flam arrestor. I am looking for about 500 HP. I dont think my B1 drive can take much more than that.

paradigm shift
    My base engine is a 1999-502 MPI. I have a set of Dart Iron Eagle 308 heads, and a Tylor Crockett cam. I all so have a full MSD ignition system and a set of Cyclone SS hearders,and a large size flam arrestor. I am looking for about 500 HP. I dont think my B1 drive can take much more than that.
    If it was me I would call Tyler Crockett on set up. Is the cam his EFI cam for his 502 kit? I am running his 502MPI kit and has run well. He put 2.25 intakes in my stock heads and new valves - springs. I would have to look up what cam he sent I know it was a cam motion but not sure of the specs. He did the ECM changes at the same time. I am running CMI elbow top exhaust.
    If you wanted to just go the carb and intake change route and not use the EFI you have more options on cams and make more power. MPI intake is not the best. Just a thought not sure how set you are on keeping the EFI. 500hp is possible with MPI intake if everything is right. I think Tyler's kit is pretty close to 500hp.

soupersonic
    Going to change my heads and cam next year who dose a good reprograming job.
    Where are you located,there are a couple people in California, a couple in AZ etc....
    1. Go with a proven package so ECM program is known.
    3. Do the Arizona Speed and marine computer route and do your own programing. Again choose mod parts carefully and install O2 sensor for tuning.
    Theres really no "proven package" , each engine, even the ones built to the closest tolerances are going to be a little different, therefore IMO each engine needs to be calibrated.
    The AZ speed and marine ingenious software is sweet for an enduser who knows exactly what they are doing. Most dont and what AZSM wont tell you up front is you need an Air/Fuel meter, a bung in the header for the A/F and a laptop.Your going to spend about $2500 trying to do it yourself.Pay someone who already has it setup probably a 1/3 of that and your set.You never have to change it again. You would have to make 3-4 drastic engine changes to justify paying for that program to do it yourself.