Thread: harmonic balancer

kenneth n
    I have a 1999-502MPI. The timing marks on my harmonic balancer have rusted off. Is there a cover or should I just replace the balancer with a new one? If I have to replace it with a new one, what brand would you recommend?
    Manufacturers part number and where to buy it would be helpful.

obnoxious001
    I think they just add marks to a GM balancer, and the zero should be much deeper and easy to see? If that is the case, you can either use a timing light that allows you to dial the advance into it, or there is a simple way to measure and determine a 36 degree mark that you could use for total timing. If you measure the circumference of the balancer, either with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string or wire, 1/10 of the distance will be 36 degrees.

snake321
    Find TDC-index the balancer

kenneth n
    I have one deep groove on the balancer is that groove zero or base timing witch is 8 degrees?

Bondo
    I have one deep groove on the balancer is that groove zero or base timing witch is 8 degrees?
    When that Mark is aligned with the 0* on the indicator Tab,..... It's at 0*s....
    When it's aligned to the 8* mark on the tab,.... It's at 8*s......

kenneth n
    Are the balancers on E bay any good they run about 70.00$.

Sleeper CP
    . If you measure the circumference of the balancer, either with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string or wire, 1/10 of the distance will be 36 degrees..
    You can learn something new everyday. I'll remember that.
    Many auto parts stores sell timing tape. You need to know the size of your balancer(how many inches) and buy the proper tape match up the zero mark.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

obnoxious001
    You can learn something new everyday. I'll remember that.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    360 degrees divide by 10,, not quite sure how long ago I first did that, but a hacksaw blade makes a decent little groove for a permanent mark once it's measured.

Moneypitt
    360 degrees divide by 10,, not quite sure how long ago I first did that, but a hacksaw blade makes a decent little groove for a permanent mark once it's measured.
    So does a centerpunch....Just a dot..........You can then put a white/yellow/orange....What ever you want.....stripe.....
    Start your engine and hold a piece of 80/120 against the balancer OD...Wa La, shiny again.....then a light coat of paint to keep it from rusting again.....MP