455 olds, 850 double pumper, crane electronic ignition, OT headers
I recently decided to freshen up my olds motor, nothing was wrong the motor it ran great (it just had a rough summer )
anyway I sent the block to my builder for a re-ring and bearings. I get it back and on the water and within a few minutes two of the valves stick, I remove the heads and find 2- exhaust valves "blue" and the valves were galded. we replace the valves, put it all back together I changed the ignition tear into the carb, find an obstruction in one of the secondary passages (small metal shaving) I am thinkin I found a problem, but I install a fuel pressure guage (it is at a steady 6 psi @ 3000 rpm, retard the timing, and run it.
Within a couple of minutes it starts popping (exhaust backfire) and missing. I tow it in, find that again it got hot as hell almost burnt through the head gasket, blew a hole in the new exhaust valve and it was stuck open this time by the seat that had fallen out (not the same two cylanders as the first time). again it was obvious it got valve melting hot, the temp guage never went over 125 and it didn't seem like it had anything internally wrong with it...it ran good, keep in mind this thing ran GREAT all summer I didnt screw with anything while the engine was in the shop. I am pretty sure its a fuel issue but I keep hearing about pre-detonation, sorry I cant post any pics, my camera dock just took a dump as well
Is there something I am overlooking here?
Thanks,
John