Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stereo install questions.

djunkie
    So I'm getting ready to do my install and I have a few questions about powering my amps. My batteries are mounted in the back of the boat and the amps will be about 10 feet from them. How would you recomend getting the power and ground to them? I have 3 amps. Should I run a seperate power and ground wire to each or should I run a single 1/0 power and grond to a distribution block and split from there at the amps?
    The amps are a single JL 500/1 class D and 2 200 watt amps for highs.
    Also need to power the headunit. Do you guys run the power to it through the ignition or should I run it straight from the batteries also? I have 2 stereo specific batteries by the way.

LAFD
    i used the distribution block i was only running to amps it makes it alot easier to only have to run one set of hot and ground.

djunkie
    i used the distribution block i was only running to amps it makes it alot easier to only have to run one set of hot and ground.
    Thats what I was thinking. One big power wire from the baterries to a distribution block by the amps. Did you fuse the main wire or did you do it all at the distribution block?

Cole Trickle
    I ran 2 Odyssey 1700's to a standalone Perko.
    I have a Circuit Breaker less than 12" from the Perko and then the 0/1 gauge wire going to a distribution block in the middle of the boat.Makes for a cleaner/easier install.

djunkie
    I ran 2 Odyssey 1700's to a standalone Perko.
    I have a Circuit Breaker less than 12" from the Perko and then the 0/1 gauge wire going to a distribution block in the middle of the boat.Makes for a cleaner/easier install.
    What are you running off of it? And how big of a breaker? Right now I have 3 batteries going into a perko. 1 for starting and the other 2 for stereo.

djunkie
    One big run to the distribution block and then to each amp. Fuse the long single run right at the batteries and use a fused distribution block, that should take care of it.
    Thanks. Thats what I'll do. Would a circuit breaker be better on the single big one or is a fuse recomended? And was size should the fuse/breaker be?

phebus
    Thanks. Thats what I'll do. Would a circuit breaker be better on the single big one or is a fuse recomended? And was size should the fuse/breaker be?
    If a circuit breaker can meet your demands, I would go with a circuit breaker. You need to add up your max amperage draw, and see if you can buy a circuit breaker that meets the demand. Circuit breakers are nice, because you can use them as a shutoff if you need to isolate the circuit, or if your boat goes in for repair. Just check your manuals and see what fuse rating they call for on each amp and add it up.

djunkie
    Thanks guys. I think I'll go for the circuit breaker.

Beer-30
    I don't see that a FUSED distribution block is necessary. I don't know of an amp, these days, that does not have its own fuse(s). The circuit breaker by the battery should be all that is needed.

phebus
    My Phoenix Gold Xenon amps don't have external fuses. Whether or not they have internal fuses, I don't know, but I do know it would be a pain in the ass if I had to replace them if they do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast