Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main bearings too tight

squirt
    Need a source for King race bearings X size. Mains are now .0028-.0029 with Clevite x's in them. New Scat crank BBC 496. Are the Clevite H/X/ V's the same as Kings????

Moneypitt
    Need a source for King race bearings X size. Mains are now .0028-.0029 with Clevite x's in them. New Scat crank BBC 496. Are the Clevite H/X/ V's the same as Kings????
    How loose do you want them?.......Another grand and you'll be bumping .004, which, IMHO is a little loose....0025-.0035 is in the acceptable range, and you're right in the middle of that......I was told to look at the Lambos, Jags, Merzedes........They run everything nice and tight, live forever, and perform under extreme conditions......Like a Timex.............MP

Nstigator
    We run 1000hp blown alcohol boat motors with .003-.0035 preferably closer to .003. Sorry, I don't know your build. How much power are you trying to make? What kind purpose?

IMPATIENT 1
    did you have the block line honed? i've never seen a stock block that wasn't too tight on the mains for race applications. if you didn't line hone, ya might think about studding and line honing at this point.

wideopen545
    check that scat crank we went through 7 to get a good one they had a bad run on the stroker cranks also
    tim

DetroitJim
    Your clearances are perfect, leave them alone. It is a myth that you need clearances any bigger than that except for max rpm blown alky / nitro. Clearances used to be set loose back in the old days, partly due to crummy cranks and rods, mainly because people ran old school thick oil which you don't need either. I run 0.0025 and 10w30, 60 lbs. pressure with blown gas, zero issues after hundreds of 7000 rpm runs. Think of all the 454 and 502 mags out there, they are at 0.0015 to 0.0025 on average and run for years. And no they are not set up looser than car engines, that is a myth also.
    DJ

squirt
    Block is studded and line honed, want clearance at .0035 and figured it would be much easier to do with a set of bearings. I'd like to try a set of Kings before I touch the crank. Motor is for the lake in a jet. shooting for 700hp on pump gas and 200 nos

RCB19
    I agree here. Your clearances are right where you want them. The more clearance you have the more oil passes out the bearings and ends up wrapped around the crankshaft costing you some power. I'd leave them alone and run it.

Fiat48
    Block is studded and line honed, want clearance at .0035 and figured it would be much easier to do with a set of bearings. I'd like to try a set of Kings before I touch the crank. Motor is for the lake in a jet. shooting for 700hp on pump gas and 200 nos
    Good vibrations racing sells King bearings. The race bearings will have about .001 more clearance than other bearings.
    Let me define that better. A standard King race bearing will have approx .001 more clearance than a standard Fed Mogul, Clevite...etc. Kings xtra clearance bearing is gonna be even looser.....for sure too loose.

squirt
    Thank you Fiat, I'll order a set on Mondy and see where they set me at. If they are a full .001 over the Clevite x's then I'll be too loose. Am I correct in thinking I can put a Clevite x half in the top side and a kingX in the bottom to get me to my .0035 clearance or is the difference in thickness too great?
    Don
    Just read your edited post.....0028 is with clevite x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast