Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New F-29 prop choice...

new2cats
    OK, so I am new......got lots of questions that I am sure can be answered on here:
    Building new DCB F-29 with 525s, XR, ITS, SportMaster lower (think 1:35 ratio, not sure yet), vac bag, composite, etc. (there goes the kids' college fund..I know!)
    Looking for best overall prop....want everything (of course): quick plane, great mid-range, killer cruise speed and respectible top-end.
    I assume there are some others on HB that have this setup.?? My guess is a stock Bravo 32.....just a pure stab-in-da-dark.......
    ANY SUGGESTIONS...I hate changing props for conditions!
    Thanks.

SWOOP!
    I would try a set of Maximus 30P 15 1/4, 5 blades, I am still testing props on mine. Have you asked Dave what he suggest. He can get you dialed in pretty damn close to the performance you are looking for.

MACH26
    I had 33" Maximus 5 blades on this exact same set up. 6-7 sec to plane, sweet mid range, and 113 mph top speed. My boat was an open bow and not kevlar or composite. Hope this helps. PM me with any other questions

new2cats
    Thanks ya'all...I have spoken to Dave & Bryan....I trust them so will bounce ideas off of them both. Just thought I would ask real-world folks!
    Wish list is:
    7 second plane, 90+mph at 4,000 rpm, 120+ top end.....it is vac bagged, kevlar, composite and open bow.....likely I AM DREAMING, RIGHT!!??

TOBTEK
    Thanks ya'all...I have spoken to Dave & Bryan....I trust them so will bounce ideas off of them both. Just thought I would ask real-world folks!
    Wish list is:
    7 second plane, 90+mph at 4,000 rpm, 120+ top end.....it is vac bagged, kevlar, composite and open bow.....likely I AM DREAMING, RIGHT!!??
    120 WITH 525'S may be wishfull thinking. That boat with 525 isnt known to roll over very well to start with, put on some large wheels for that # your shooting for and you may roller by the time you get to the Springs.....starting at the Island Dave had the red F29 with 525's out for the poker run, he was saying 109 was the number. That was in the spring temps....summer #'s will be slower.

new2cats
    Got it , thanks.....I am actually no speed freak....kinda have a good perspective on death now...when you hit 40 things just get a bit scarier (at least for me).....I just want a really solid cruise speed. What is opinion on light layup advantages??
    This HB forum is very cool and informative...I am sure the sparkle will fade and I will just be getting my a$$ handed to me constantly.....too nice for public banter....guess I will find out, right.

XFactor
    I've got to agree with Toby. 525's are dog motors out of the hole. Think about Ilmor 550's or if top end isn't an issue maybe the 496HO's are a better fit.

TOBTEK
    I've got to agree with Toby. 525's are dog motors out of the hole. Think about Ilmor 550's or if top end isn't an issue maybe the 496HO's are a better fit.
    im sure thats killing you in it self I just might use that in a signature line

TOBTEK
    YEP, I was flat out told NOT to do the 525's cause the bottom end was really bad. How much $$$ is it these days to step into the 525's from the Std 496's? Think I ave a price list or ten here somewhere....

new2cats
    yeah ...but that huge billet dolphin tail fin bolted to the drive should shoot her right out......(sarcasm) I know, I am a typical testosterone-idiot.....ordered the HOs but my ego did not allow it......wife's only requirements were 87 octane (some issue with available fuel at some of our lakes) and open bow.....so there were few motor options for me.
    I guess I can still flip-flop and go with the HOs, add headers and call it good...would save me $25k+ (I see that as 6 years in insurance!!)
    This toy gig is tough business.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast