Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New F-29 prop choice...

SWOOP!
    525's should be a very reliable set up for you! You should see around 115mph depending on how you prop it with that lay up. I just got mine end of summer and can't be happier, it is truly an awesome ride.

the_gray_goose
    Where is Patyacht?
    He has that exact setup and almost a yaer of history with it.
    Come on Pat , chime in here!

ClownRoyal
    Where is Patyacht?
    I would speak for him but don't want to steal his thunder. But I do know Pat likes his setup very much

DMOORE
    YEP, I was flat out told NOT to do the 525's cause the bottom end was really bad. .
    ??? The 525 is an all forged motor. Not sure where the problem is with that. The 496 is not an all forged motor.
    As for props, with only a 525, a good 5 blade will work great and the drive will handle it no problem. Maximus or hydromotive.

phebus
    ??? The 525 is an all forged motor. Not sure where the problem is with that. The 496 is not an all forged motor.
    As for props, with only a 525, a good 5 blade will work great and the drive will handle it no problem. Maximus or hydromotive.
    He is talking about bottom end as it refers to acceleration, not the bottom end components of the motor.

TOBTEK
    He is talking about bottom end as it refers to acceleration, not the bottom end components of the motor.
    True that Rick... Merc makes a nice turn key package, Just WAY over priced. You can get alot more bang for your buck.

Patyacht
    Where is Patyacht?
    Damn, an old man can't even take a nap these days.....
    With 2 operations this year, not much testing for me but here's what I've got:
    I've got the same setup except I've got the IMCO extension box so a little more set back then the ITS. I think 12" vs 7". When I ordered my boat I wanted a 100 mph boat any day, any temp, any place, any load. The 300XS's and 496 options did not do that. I actually got a easy 106 mph boat any day, any temp any place, any load. Some places I've been have an elevation 2,500+. I've actually seen 111 on the rev limiter with 5 souls on board and full fuel and full coolers for the cool aid.... Some have told me I'm running 115 when they are running with me when I was showing 110-111. I'm running 5 blade Maximus props and yes it's slow to plane (6-7 sec) with more than 2 on board but I've actually got her to plane with 6 at 2,500feet and full fuel. My mid-range acceleration is great.
    I've wanted to test 4 blade 34's either Hydros or Bravos because that's what alot of 28' Eliminators run but haven't had the chance yet because of the 2 ops and kind of hard finding props to test.
    Reference engines, my last boat had a 525 and it smoked and had other issues like using lots of fluids etc. Merc has changed some things and these newer 525's are great to include good fuel economy and the 87 octane. Boating in Havi I'd be leary of Illmors (heat) and may think of the Merc 600's but you'll loose the 87 Octane capability. I just got 7 hours on the boat without fueling. With only 55 gallons a side that's amazing...
    Also put insurance into the equation... The faster you go the more you pay and how much time do you send at the upper speeds.
    Not sure I'd use out of the hole performance as a decision factor unless you plan on doing alot of racing to the Turtle Bar from a stop . But then you need to add extra drive $$ to the budget...

andy01
    Congrats on your purchase, very nice boat..... well except for the open bow. I would think the best place to get prop advise would be from Dave at DCB. He has set up a few of these boats in his time . I am sure he will know the best prop for what you want to do as far as speed and exceleration. He also knows what most of his customers are running for prop. That engine package will be very turn key, will be easy on drives and easy on fuel. I would have opted for more power, but you can put more power in your 32'.
    Ady

XFactor
    Damn, an old man can't even take a nap these days.....
    With 2 operations this year, not much testing for me but here's what I've got:
    I've got the same setup except I've got the IMCO extension box so a little more set back then the ITS. I think 12" vs 7". When I ordered my boat I wanted a 100 mph boat any day, any temp, any place, any load. The 300XS's and 496 options did not do that. I actually got a easy 106 mph boat any day, any temp any place, any load. Some places I've been have an elevation 2,500+. I've actually seen 111 on the rev limiter with 5 souls on board and full fuel and full coolers for the cool aid.... Some have told me I'm running 115 when they are running with me when I was showing 110-111. I'm running 5 blade Maximus props and yes it's slow to plane (6-7 sec) with more than 2 on board but I've actually got her to plane with 6 at 2,500feet and full fuel. My mid-range acceleration is great.
    I've wanted to test 4 blade 34's either Hydros or Bravos because that's what alot of 28' Eliminators run but haven't had the chance yet because of the 2 ops and kind of hard finding props to test.
    Reference engines, my last boat had a 525 and it smoked and had other issues like using lots of fluids etc. Merc has changed some things and these newer 525's are great to include good fuel economy and the 87 octane. Boating in Havi I'd be leary of Illmors (heat) and may think of the Merc 600's but you'll loose the 87 Octane capability. I just got 7 hours on the boat without fueling. With only 55 gallons a side that's amazing...
    Also put insurance into the equation... The faster you go the more you pay and how much time do you send at the upper speeds.
    Not sure I'd use out of the hole performance as a decision factor unless you plan on doing alot of racing to the Turtle Bar from a stop . But then you need to add extra drive $$ to the budget...
    Only true with the 550's and 625's. Whole different world with the 710's. I lost 3-4 mph on the very hottest of days and I'm not sure that's real accurate because I never got the water to get all it had in it.

Patyacht
    Only true with the 550's and 625's. Whole different world with the 710's. I lost 3-4 mph on the very hottest of days and I'm not sure that's real accurate because I never got the water to get all it had in it.
    I thought someone in post #7 suggested 550's!!!!!!! Oh that was you! XFactor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast