Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Tow W/ a Jeep Wrangler?

Boozer
    I've been wanting a Wrangler for years. Winter is here and I am thinking it is time to finally pull the trigger and get one. I'm going to make the Wrangler my only vehicle and I'm wondering how well it will tow my little 19' boat. I don't plan to tow very far with it but if need be I would like to be able to tow it.
    All the Wranglers I have been looking at have the 4.0 inline 6.

Jbb
    For the record, and before it starts...NOT ME!

Boozer
    I was thinking about getting an orange one.....

uvindex
    For the record, and before it starts...NOT ME!If I had a jeep as nice as yours, I wouldn't tow with it either.

Ziggy
    I say fine but don't take my word for it....look up the tow rating for the vehicle and then what your boat weighs.

Ziggy
    Boozers getting a washed out deal from you? no?

DeltaSigBoater
    We used to tow our 27' Day Cruiser with a CJ7. It was only from the trailer to the water and back, a distance of about a mile round trip. Worked well, never had trouble pulling out!

Outnumbered
    Are you talking 2007+ or 2006-.....that would be TJ or JK?
    I would not do it unless you got a 2007+ JK Unlimited with a stick. Even with that you are maxed at 3,500# tow rating. I think your 19' boat would be pushing over 3,500#.
    Towing with a TJ is a death-wish because the suspension is so flexy. YJ (square headlights) would be better if you are going to get an older wrangler due to leaf springs.

Cheap Thrills
    4.0L is rated at 190hp with more than enough torque to tow a 19' boat.
    I have a 98xj and wouldn't hesitate to throw a boat or a small camper behind it. But I have a truck for that so I've never actually towed with the XJ.
    As far as how the Wrangler with it's short wheelbase will act with a boat behind it I can't say, but I do see a few around town towing trailers so it must not be too bad. If you get one opt. for the towing package if it's offered. The XJ towing package consisted of a Larger Radiator, Transmission Cooler and a class 3 Hitch Receiver.
    Good Luck.
    T.

Boozer
    4.0L is rated at 190hp with more than enough torque to tow a 19' boat.
    I have a 98xj and wouldn't hesitate to throw a boat or a small camper behind it. But I have a truck for that so I've never actually towed with the XJ.
    As far as how the Wrangler with it's short wheelbase will act with a boat behind it I can't say, but I do see a few around town towing trailers so it must not be too bad. If you get one opt. for the towing package if it's offered. The XJ towing package consisted of a Larger Radiator, Transmission Cooler and a class 3 Hitch Receiver.
    Good Luck.
    T.
    I don't know if it's a YJ, CJ, or XJ. It's a 97, has round headlights, it does have an auto trans but it also has the tow package.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast