Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Tow W/ a Jeep Wrangler?

Outnumbered
    I don't know if it's a YJ, CJ, or XJ. It's a 97, has round headlights, it does have an auto trans but it also has the tow package.
    That would be a TJ and I would NOT tow over 20mph with that. I used to have one...not a tow vehicle.
    CJ=pre 1986 Jeep
    YJ=1987-1995 Square headlight Wrangler
    TJ=1997-2006 Round Headlight Wrangler
    JK=2007+ Wrangler
    XJ=Cherokee Classic SUV

Sherpa
    97 is a TJ......
    capable of towing a boat, but not fast, not great braking for anything over
    say 4k.... and
    make sure you don't go into corners too fast, because the coils are a softer
    ride than leafs, and not as predictable for turning while towing...
    also, if it's lifted more than 2.5" inches, I would hesitate to tow with it at all.
    --Sherpa

maxwedge
    Looks like time to pull out the ole' "Jeep VS. Sea Ray Death Pool" thread again?
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123275

Outnumbered
    97 is a TJ......
    capable of towing a boat, but not fast, not great braking for anything over
    say 4k.... and
    make sure you don't go into corners too fast, because the coils are a softer
    ride than leafs, and not as predictable for turning while towing...
    also, if it's lifted more than 2.5" inches, I would hesitate to tow with it at all.
    --Sherpa
    Just don't wreck towing a 3,500# boat because your insurance will tell you to pound sand Don't tow over 1,000# with a TJ period...bad idea.

topless
    Just don't wreck towing a 3,500# boat because your insurance will tell you to pound sand Don't tow over 1,000# with a TJ period...bad idea.
    Don't worry about the boat, it's a Bayliner.:jawdrop:

Excessive Force
    Anyone having towed with a jeep are prolly 6' under or still too busy shoveling shiot from there underpants :squiggle:

gas Hogg
    I have a 88 wrangler lifted with 33's and a inline 6 that I had balanced and gone through. I have changed teh gears and installed the larger radiator electric fans. It tows my 18' sleekcraft just fine. As long as I don't need to get out of any ones way, want to go up a hill faster than 45, I enjoy watching the temp gauge go up and down alot or I would like to STOP. It looks cool as hell going up and down the ramp but the rest of the time make sure you and your passengers either have a extra set of boxer's or at least hope the bastards that are with you are to drunk to care.
    Seriously as far as going with the automatic FORGET IT. You will burn that automatic up fast.
    JW

Focker
    I was thinking about getting an orange one.....
    BRONCO ORANGE

canuck1
    My 02 TJ pulled fine..... mind you my boat on the trailer weighs less than most peoples without

PaPaG
    78 CJ, 88 YJ, 89 YJ all can and or have towed up to a 23 footer short distances (10 miles). My 88 and 89 with 6cyl. towed a 21 footer from SF valley to laughlin once a month without a problem back about 15 years ago. Not the best breaking power with that big of a boat but never had a problem..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast