Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB F-29; 496HOs or 525s?

MR HARLEY
    Yeah your right you win my boat only runs 94 and it is ONLY an ULTRA Someday I will step up and buy a big boy boat like yours when I can get a couple partners to buy it with, NOT
    Partners? I got one partner, my brother.

DMOORE
    Here's my .02 $. If you are going to lay down the coin for an F29, don't go cheap and install 496's. At the minimum run some 525's. It would be just too embarrasing to be passed by something like..oh I dunno.. and old Advantage.
    Darrell.

new2cats
    Thanks guys......(stop bickering)....the 525s are on order....need to run 87 octane so most (Merc. 600s&700s, Ilmor, Teague, etc.) are out!
    Dave (DCB) said we will likely see 115-120 with vac bag/kevlar/composite and faster with some stupid huge wheel spinnin'.
    I think an 85 MPH cruise speed is killer.

TPI
    Don't worry about the fuel at Powell. Antelope Point Marina sells 91 right on the water . ............From what I have seen(many times), A guy will order those 496's and be dying for more HP in less than a year, then he will spend some real coin to bump up the power to different motors/drives/gimbals. At least with the 525's, you have a motor with some kind of resale value and a great foundation to either Whipplecharge it or rebuild to a larger motor when you get bored with them(you will get bored with them ). They also come with a HP gimbal which the 496 does not. I personally think you made a good choice.

TOBTEK
    Thanks guys......(stop bickering)....the 525s are on order....need to run 87 octane so most (Merc. 600s&700s, Ilmor, Teague, etc.) are out!
    Dave (DCB) said we will likely see 115-120 with vac bag/kevlar/composite and faster with some stupid huge wheel spinnin'.
    I think an 85 MPH cruise speed is killer.
    JUST REMEMBER..... He is a SALESMAN! the 29 he had out ran 109 in the springtime. 120 is a pipe dream. All the bagging, blah, blah smoke and mirriors arent going to add that much. For the SAME money as those blue motors you can have some GT's, or equal built that will be more suited for that new 29! TRUE THAT.

Bullhead Bully
    I have a light layup 28 Daytona with 496s and CMI headers in it .I have had 525 in another boat , they are both great motors my 28 runs a solid 104 to 106 any day of the year no matter the temp I still break a 100. So I think it comes down to how fast you need to go ,your budget , and the amount of hours you plan to run with or without warranty . Both motors can get a 5 year extended warranty to me that is very important I run alot of hours. So it is up to you ,If the extra money is not a problem go with the 525s and a warranty form Phoenix American. GOOD LUCK.

Magic34
    Of the 2 choises. Merc 525 all the way. Leave them stock and enjoy your warranty.
    In a 29' boat, 110 MPH is plenty fast and will run strong with the stock power.
    I always go Merc power, resale is much better.

Jordy
    I always go Merc power, resale is much better.
    And that is very important with as often as you resell.

Kilrtoy
    If you are gonna buy a DCB then buy the right power, Nothing under a merc 600 or viper 625. Isay go bigger.
    If not buy another boat

Jordy
    If you are gonna buy a DCB then buy the right power, Nothing under a merc 600 or viper 625. Isay go bigger.
    If not buy another boat
    What do you have for power again??? :idea: :jawdrop:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast