Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: DCB F-29; 496HOs or 525s?

new2cats
    I thought you already did in your Tow Vehicle thread.
    Correct, that was the digital design graphic....I meant going to DCB this week to take real pix of the boat in rigging. First time to see her out of the mold...pretty damn excited!!!-

Kilrtoy
    Building a $250,000 boat and worring about 87 octane....... only on Hot Boat.
    And living in 1.5 million dollar house, you left that out....
    I say merc 700's

shueman
    ....I say merc 700's
    Good Call...

ToMorrow44
    Check the price list on Teagues and you'll choke!
    Last time I checked the Teague stuff is cheaper than any Merc Blue motor. Most of the time you can get a Teague 800efi with XR drive for the same price as upgrading to a 525 or 600. Unless DCB is jacking up the Teague prices...
    BTW Teague offers the same 1yr warranty as Merc.
    Of your 2 choices, I'd definitely agree go 525s with the possibility of Whipples later on.
    -Tom

new2cats
    Thanks to all for opinions.....first of all....the 87 octane issue was not about fuel prices (what a$$ could worry about them...$3.55 or $3.75..who gives a
    f$%& at that price-point)!! We have had issues with premium availability on some lakes and octane boost will not do it!!!! Wife agreed to the big-$ boat if we could use 87 octane. Already have the 525s in route....found out that Ilmor can program the 625 and 710s to run on 87-89 octane no problemo.....next boat for sure!!!!
    On a practical note; if the 525s can do 118-120 (light layup) and the Ilmors can do 130-140.....is it REALLY worth the dough ($40K-$50K plus upgrade)??? To some, YES, to others who work for the money (no inheritence) and pay cash for everything it is a big-fat NO!!!

new2cats
    Last time I checked the Teague stuff is cheaper than any Merc Blue motor. Most of the time you can get a Teague 800efi with XR drive for the same price as upgrading to a 525 or 600. Unless DCB is jacking up the Teague prices...
    BTW Teague offers the same 1yr warranty as Merc.
    Of your 2 choices, I'd definitely agree go 525s with the possibility of Whipples later on.
    -Tom
    PS-Yes a call to Gary at TPI for Whipples after warranty is in the future!

Havasu1986
    Thanks to all for opinions.....first of all....the 87 octane issue was not about fuel prices (what a$$ could worry about them...$3.55 or $3.75..who gives a
    f$%& at that price-point)!! We have had issues with premium availability on some lakes and octane boost will not do it!!!! Wife agreed to the big-$ boat if we could use 87 octane. Already have the 525s in route....found out that Ilmor can program the 625 and 710s to run on 87-89 octane no problemo.....next boat for sure!!!!
    On a practical note; if the 525s can do 118-120 (light layup) and the Ilmors can do 130-140.....is it REALLY worth the dough ($40K-$50K plus upgrade)??? To some, YES, to others who work for the money (no inheritence) and pay cash for everything it is a big-fat NO!!!

Those speeds to me are way to fast on any recreational type lake.

new2cats
    Totally agree....that is why we will prop for all-around fun.....likely will want to tube, cruise and do some quickly throttle-smashin'..if we can cruise at 65-70 and do 90+ that is crazy fast for most folks and the Family (Wife & Kids) have no business in the boat at top speeds....I am really surprised when I see a cat doing 100+ in Havi with kids on board and cheap-a$$ West Marine vests.....do owners really know what happens at 100 when you hit the water??? There is a physics lesson to be learned and a percentages game with regard to lethal accidents.....remember in driver's ed when they said (this is a loose memory quote) "at 50 mph there is a 30% chance of death in an accident, at 60mph, 50%, at 70mph, 70%, at 80mph 85% and at 100mph, 90+% chance of not going home!!!" Not sure of the figures but you get the idea...sure the same applies to water!!!
    Just my rant for the day!!

Reaper1
    America was built on speed...............Hot, Nasty, Bad Ass speed.

Kilrtoy
    America was built on speed...............Hot, Nasty, Bad Ass speed.
    Slingshot ENGAGED

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast