Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Injecting fuel AFTER the blower?

airpacker
    Opinions wanted. Can it be done safely or does the blower require fuel passing thru it to survive?

revndave
    The blower needs some fuel for lubrication.

Shadow1
    Why do we need lubrication? The rotors don't actually touch anything? There is clearance and the bearings at both ends are sealed.
    Only the drive gears which run in oil need lubrication.

BDMar
    If the blower is teflon stripped it needs fuel for lubrication.

Warp Factor
    When I was looking into a roots blower for a port injected engine, two or three blower manufacturers all said that stripped or not, you need the cooling benefit of vaporizing fuel above the blower to keep it from getting too hot.
    They do without this on small Eaton OEM car blowers, so maybe it has something to do with case expansion, and clearances going all to hell on the larger units.

IMPATIENT 1
    imagine intake temps with no fuel in there to cool it down some
    better off goin with a turbo set-up or centifugal charger if your gonna port inject.

Unchained
    This is a sensitive subject for the roots blown crowd.
    The fact that a roots blower on a gas engine needs fuel run through it is undesirable to say the least, but running the fuel mixture through the intercooler is less desirable yet.
    The intercooler is acting as a dehumidifier then. It is trying to separate the fuel from the air.
    Now someone can say, "they run the fuel mixture through the intercooler all the time and it works fine"
    A screw blower does not need fuel run through it and is a much better setup. Then you can inject the fuel after the blower.

Liberator TJ1984
    Diesel engines do not have any fuel going thru the blowers

IMPATIENT 1
    Diesel engines do not have any fuel going thru the blowers
    or the intake or intake ports i freak the young techs out when i start 6.5 deisels without an intake on em

Unchained
    The only diesels with blowers that I know of are the old Detroit Diesel 2 cycles.
    The blower was for exhaust scavenging to clear the cylinder through the intake ports in the side of the cylinder and the exhaust valves located in the cylinder head. It was never intended to make pressure. The engine only turned 2400 rpms............although once I was driving a semi going down a rough stretch of highway with a 50 ton load and the shifter got to bouncing and it threw itself into the next lower gear and I had my foot to the floor (as usual). The motor screamed and the tach went back around past 0. Didn't hurt it but I'm sure it didn't improve it either. :idea: I'm glad it was a rental truck.
    Most truckers didn't like the Detroits as they had a reputation as an oil leaker.
    Later engines used a blower and turbo(s).

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast