Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Small block Chevy

BrendellaJet
    I've got a jet boat that needs an engine, and happen to have a fresh small block chevy crate motor thats been sitting a few years.
    Playing around on ebay and ran across some small block chevy turbo headers, and some turbos for under $500 bucks.
    Im not looking to set the world on fire, but would be cool to put the small block in the boat and make enough power for the boat to haul ass.
    Object here is to keep it simple, under budget, and go fast. Not sure whats in the motor, but I know it has a 4 bolt bottom end. Im willing to change out the rod bolts for some ARP's and throw in some forged pistons to help make sure it lives(and make sure the compression is turbo friendly. I was thinking I could go blow through and just run one carb(using one of those Centrifugal hats), but If I need to do a draw through setup thats ok.
    How much power can I make and still have this be reliable? Pump gas is a requirement.

IMPATIENT 1
    500hp otta be safe if the crank is forged, gonna be a cool project, go for it! keep us in pics to i've always wanted to build a turbo'd, nitrous fed 433sbc and put it in a race weight cp tunnel

BrendellaJet
    500? Thats not enough to make me want to do it. I was thinking 650 ish would be a good goal...I guess the cubic inches would limit me...

Budweiser
    I'm not a pro, but I've spent a lot of time investigating on line and reading tech articles on the issue. 500HP would be a boring goal, you could easily achieve that without forced induction (although it would be over 6000RPM). 500 wouldn't be too exciting either. I'd say you're on the right track, 650 to 750 would be easily attainable on pump gas with a 350 small block, granted you have the right parts... Forged crank, rods, pistons, good cylinder heads, intercooler... I'll put up some links later (for info)
    -Seth-

BrendellaJet
    I dont know if the crank is forged, I kind of doubt it but maybe I got lucky. Motor has like 250 miles on it max, so I dont want to take the crank out. Trying to keep this a budget deal. Rods are stock chevy, so I'll upgrade those to some Scats or something similar and new pistons too. Heads will be iron, big valves, need to check the casting #.
    Intercoolers look to be cheap. I bet I could find a nice aluminum water to air and run some of the jet water through it to keep the intake air chilled. So far I see $1500 bucks or so to make this happen(if that), just need to find a quality set of turbos thats not gonna fall apart like so many that I've read about from ebay...This might be kinda fun

GAWnCA
    I dont know if the crank is forged, I kind of doubt it but maybe I got lucky. Motor has like 250 miles on it max, so I dont want to take the crank out. Trying to keep this a budget deal. Rods are stock chevy, so I'll upgrade those to some Scats or something similar and new pistons too. Heads will be iron, big valves, need to check the casting #.
    Intercoolers look to be cheap. I bet I could find a nice aluminum water to air and run some of the jet water through it to keep the intake air chilled. So far I see $1500 bucks or so to make this happen(if that), just need to find a quality set of turbos thats not gonna fall apart like so many that I've read about from ebay...This might be kinda fun
    Hey, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've got a buddy in Ohio who says by shopping the junk yards (wrecking yards) you can pick turbos at a pretty good price. I've got my eye on a 350 4 bolt motor and a small ski boat. Maybe we can build and compare together. I've got to get my Miller done first.

IMPATIENT 1
    Hey, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've got a buddy in Ohio who says by shopping the junk yards (wrecking yards) you can pick turbos at a pretty good price. I've got my eye on a 350 4 bolt motor and a small ski boat. Maybe we can build and compare together. I've got to get my Miller done first.
    look for older 6.5 turbo deisel gm trucks. the turbo on them could easliy be fitted and made to work on a gas motor. pair of them could put out way over 20lbs of boost. the wastegates are attached as well , the inlets are flat enough to easily make header collector plates. i've got a low milage 6.5 turbo i held onto thru the yrs. "just in case" i know some guys here local that are doin some wild things with turbo'd straight 6's , old school gm and the new gm i-6 motors. had me thinking about a turbo sbc sanger flat bottom project,lol.

GAWnCA
    look for older 6.5 turbo deisel gm trucks. the turbo on them could easliy be fitted and made to work on a gas motor. pair of them could put out way over 20lbs of boost. the wastegates are attached as well , the inlets are flat enough to easily make header collector plates. i've got a low milage 6.5 turbo i held onto thru the yrs. "just in case" i know some guys here local that are doin some wild things with turbo'd straight 6's , old school gm and the new gm i-6 motors. had me thinking about a turbo sbc sanger flat bottom project,lol.
    I'll bet the whine of the turbos would turn a few heads as they wind up. I'll ask my bud what they are using on their hot rods. He has sent me some photos and some of the plumbing they put into hooking up the turbos, would give a plumber and a muffler shop nightmares!!

GAWnCA
    Bump

BrendellaJet
    So will it be okay to make this a blow thru setup? I've read its probably better to draw thru the carbs, but this way I only need one. I wonder how much that would limit the power potential in the range I am shooting for???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast