Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 110 or alcohol??

hulshot
    A 14.5:1 496 with those heads I hope it would make more that 650 a lot more.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    It was numbers were just hypethetical. these are not real numbers. I just want to see if there would be a substantial gain to a high comperession motor switching to alcohol vs race gas.:idea:

curtis73
    Its true that ethanol has higher octane, but it has way fewer BTUs. If you run 110 octane tuned for gasoline, you'll make MUCH more power than if you ran alcohol.
    Tests are rampant on the internet; people who have switched from 9:1 on pump gas to 11:1 on alcohol and the power output stayed the same.
    Bottom line is you will need a certain level of octane to support your engine's parameters. Why not choose the fuel with 20% more BTUs?

adjones419
    I don't know why anyone would run alcohol through a carburetor. I know of 2 guys doing it...a local circle track dirt racer and my best friend's 12 year old son on his junior dragster.

hulshot
    I don't know why anyone would run alcohol through a carburetor. I know of 2 guys doing it...a local circle track dirt racer and my best friend's 12 year old son on his junior dragster.
    just something to try and see if it works or not.:idea: Should I run a dribbler with a mechanical pump and a bug catcher, that wouldn't work well with start and stop and idling to light cruising.
    I can see no gain on a 9 or 11:1 motor but a 12.5 -14.5 motor with large displacement and large cam with large heads, should'nt there be some power gain with a switch.
    Lets say for instance I have a 600ci motor with 12.5:1 comp that makes over 900hp running on 110, if I put an alcohol prepped carb that was tuned correctly for the motor would I see a significant gain in power or none at all and just be using more fuel??
    I know that alcohol on blown injected motors make a biggggg difference, been there done that.

hulshot
    I have a few more days until I deceide what I am going to do, is there any more oppinions out there????:idea:

River Rat 005
    The guys I've talked to that use it on N/A injected motors at the drags swear by it. Only thing I can tell different by talking to these guys is the engine runs cooler, less prone to detenation, and use twice as much as gas. A buddy of mine says the upper cylinder wear is greater. Maybe that Marvel oil helps to reduce that. I don't think it's worth the added maintenance to me. I'll stick with gas for now.

ol guy
    This would be from an old ubfj racer. Your'e compression is good for alky,Maintanance factor is greatly reduced by the use of marvel mystery oil and then the combustion chamber temp gets into the soup. If feul stops are already a problem then just go by 1 gallon of 110 feul and 1 gallon of alcohol. I have ran both and I'll take alcohol over feul every day of the week and twice on sunday. Despite alot of thoughts it is easier on the motor and will require more oil changes but do the math on the feul charge. Then you get to learn about the head temp with alcohol. My 2 cents and change. M

hulshot
    Does anyone know if engine builders have dynoed motors of various upgrades done to them and tried a comparison from fuel to alcohol? I am not convenced either way yet. Some say yes some say no.
    Keep the opinions coming.

Everyone has imput on alky.
    I will only tell you my experience:
    I am burning around 35% more alky than I was burning gas. Remember I also switched from a single carb to crower stacks.
    Water & oil run cooler.
    Injector is very easy to tune on alky.
    Been running alky for two seasons. I have NEVER drained my fuel system. Pro-blend alky treatment.
    I have never changed my oil due to dilution.
    A wise man once told me "Gas is for lawn mowers"
    Actually never mind, you guys keep running gas, more alky for me.

Fiat48
    But...But..what about:
    "Tests are rampant on the internet; people who have switched from 9:1 on pump gas to 11:1 on alcohol and the power output stayed the same."
    Can you stand the power loss Morg?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast