Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 110 or alcohol??

So you are saying there is no gain running Alky???
    What the hell was I thinking??

Sleeper CP
    So you are saying there is no gain running Alky???
    What the hell was I thinking??
    You have to compair apples to apples. Your 14.5/1 engine if tuned correctly will benefit from it. An 11:1 engine not so much.
    If I were you I would call Steve at Westtech and ask him. I have called him twice out of the blue and he spent 10 and 15 minutes with me on the phone.
    Give him a shot. He is a nice guy.
    If high compression engines didn't make more power with alky the 410" sprint car guys wouldn't be using it.
    Oh, you could also call a guy by the name of Joe Sherman in L. A. or Santa Monica area he would probably be able to answer your question, but more than likely he would not want to "give" you the answer, but if Steve at Westech know's he'll just tell you.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

ol guy
    Allow me to clear up a few thoughts. It is easier on the bottom end and does require more compression ratio. Alcohol is not a cam change it is a tune change. Alcohol is a denser feul and requires more distribution and flow, If tuned right will produce more power and cheaper at the feul stop. Alcohol also wants more cylinder head temp due to flash temp. Nitro flashes at a high temp, alcohol flashes at a little lower temp and gasoline flashes at any temp. Octane is what high compression engines need to live and not create detonation on feul. Tuned right an alcohol motor will prduce alot of power and burn alot of feul, BUT if you factor in the cost of a good race feul and alcohol per gallons per fun, you figure it out. Just my FYI. M

ol guy
    Hey sleeper CP, Joe Sherman builds One Hell of a motor. Next time you talk to him, ask him about the grocery getter his kid was coming to HB to street race with all the locals. Also the motors he built for a few of my friends back in the late 70s . If I recall it was a late 70s nova with a stroker 350. Probably a 406 or bigger.

hulshot
    Allow me to clear up a few thoughts. It is easier on the bottom end and does require more compression ratio. Alcohol is not a cam change it is a tune change. Alcohol is a denser feul and requires more distribution and flow, If tuned right will produce more power and cheaper at the feul stop. Alcohol also wants more cylinder head temp due to flash temp. Nitro flashes at a high temp, alcohol flashes at a little lower temp and gasoline flashes at any temp. Octane is what high compression engines need to live and not create detonation on feul. Tuned right an alcohol motor will prduce alot of power and burn alot of feul, BUT if you factor in the cost of a good race feul and alcohol per gallons per fun, you figure it out. Just my FYI. M
    this is what I want to happen is add power, substantially. I have run blown injected alk prior and what a huge difference it made, but I had high static compression with 22psi on top of it and 3/4 fill on the block with water in the heads only and no pump. I also think it is more forgiving on the tune if it is missed slightly. I also ran it for 3 years with no fuel system problems and ran redline blend in drums as a lube.
    the reason I am asking is I want to gain at least 100 hp per motor or better. I can do it by either by switching to alcohol and run it when I want to run it out for a big number or to shut someone up, (two sets of carbs, 1 alk 1 gas) or I am going to change out the pistons and run either 2 14's or quad rotor setups to gain well over 100hp aside but then people know whats under the hatch? I like the sleeper look.:idea:

River Rat 005
    I'm trying to understand the cost. An alcohol motor burns twice as much as gas. My experience 110 cost around $6 a gallon. Does alcohol cost less than $3 a gallon?

Sleeper CP
    this is what I want to happen is add power, substantially. I have run blown injected alk prior and what a huge difference it made, but I had high static compression with 22psi on top of it and 3/4 fill on the block with water in the heads only and no pump. I also think it is more forgiving on the tune if it is missed slightly. I also ran it for 3 years with no fuel system problems and ran redline blend in drums as a lube.
    the reason I am asking is I want to gain at least 100 hp per motor or better. I can do it by either by switching to alcohol and run it when I want to run it out for a big number or to shut someone up, (two sets of carbs, 1 alk 1 gas) or I am going to change out the pistons and run either 2 14's or quad rotor setups to gain well over 100hp aside but then people know whats under the hatch? I like the sleeper look.:idea:
    I don't think it's going to be 100 HP. Maybe 35-45 HP. I'll make a few phone calls later today and ask a few people.:idea:
    Edit:
    I just called Dan Crower. He said Methanol vs VP-110 or C12 you might see 15-20 HP. He said "20 top's the current race gas is very good highly engineered stuff. If someone wants to go that route they should go 90/10 methanol/ nitro" Other than that it's not worth it, He said.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Unchained
    I found and attached a chart that shows the energy content of different fuels.
    What I was really looking for was the difference in energy content from low octane gas to high octane gas.
    As the octane # goes up the energy content goes down.

IMPATIENT 1
    I found and attached a chart that shows the energy content of different fuels.
    What I was really looking for was the difference in energy content from low octane gas to high octane gas.
    As the octane # goes up the energy content goes down.
    so does that mean if you can control detonation with 93 octane it'll make more power than 110?

Unchained
    so does that mean if you can control detonation with 93 octane it'll make more power than 110?
    An Engineer from F.A.S.T. told me that.
    I would guess that the tuning window would be pretty narrow with 89 octane.
    He suggested EFI and dyno tuning it, starting out at about 22 degrees total timing advance and bumping up from there.
    He mentioned that as the timing was bumped up you would get to a point where there would be a significant jump in HP and that's the sweet spot for that engine.
    I've seen some pretty impressive claims with Prochargers on 89 octane.
    I think a huge intercooler is a must.
    I'm not ready to go to 89 octane just yet. :idea:
    I'm a little gun shy after the nuclear meltdown last July.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast