Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 110 or alcohol??

hulshot
    I am wanting to know if there is a performance gain by running alcohol vs. 110. motor is a 496, Dart heads and 14.5:1 compression. this motor will wun at higher rpm's for a sustained period of time ie.. 1-3 miles at 6500rpm's. Milage is not a concern. I would like some feedback so I can deceide what carb to get, an 1050 for gas or an 1150 alcohol prepped. how about longevity with both fuels. Would add redline treatment to alcohol.
    NONE BLOWN single carb asperated. Thanks for some input.:idea:

IMPATIENT 1
    stick to 110, your cruising to much to run alcohol and your motor will show wear for it.now if your gonna be racing it 75% of the time, you'd prob gained power making the switch with the right cam and fuel system. i've been thinking about it myself but its soooo nice to pull up at the marina for gas when i have to plus i like to cruise alot.

RACER52
    with the right set up, and fuel additives (top end oil) the wear should not be much different if any. The maintenance is higher as you will need to change the oil very often to prevent the wear. And running the fuel system dry to prevent corrosion is another recommended step. With the correct maintenance program I have only had to remove and clean my fuel pressure lines to the guage on my alky motors.
    Marvel works great to lubircate and prevent the wear.
    I would think there would be a noticable gain with that C.R.
    more fuel in the chamber normally means more power when done right.
    For about $300 bucks a carb you could order the center sections and metering blocks to be able to switch back and forth between gas and alky.
    :idea:
    Racer

hulshot
    Thanks racer. I wouldnt think by switching from gas to alcohol you would have to change cams? Cant pull up to any marina for gas as it is now. what kind of wear would I see? bearings, cylinder walls, plugs, heads, valves, diluted oil (if rich)?
    Lets say The motor made 650 hp with 14.5 comp with race gas, if switched to alcohol would there be a gain in hp and torque?? Would not try alcohol if it only nets 40-50more hp.

WannabeRacing
    The horsepower gains would not be that substantial as to see 40 or 50. No way on the planet. You would have to really change the engine around to see gains like that. The benefits would be less wear to the engine, less heat if tuned properly, and wider tuning range. It will be harder on your fuel tank, fuel lines, etc. Keep that in mind.

N281PONY
    On a 430 inch victor headed small block ford we picked up about 30 hp and 40 ft/lbs of torque across the board when we switched from gas to alky. If you were doing it for all out racing I would say make the switch but for cruising and such not worth the effort in my opinion. Oil changes after every weekend constant inspection of fuel lines (braided lines) and the extra maintaince for what maybe 3-5 mph. To easy to put the bottle on it and be done.

RACER52
    no need to switch cams as we are already running aggressive cams.
    Especially you. (spring breaker)
    I stuck with the same cam when we switched to alky. Wear and tear would be ok. Extra maintenance, well its only work.
    I feel the same about the fuel tank, I know the fitting and lines require checking and cleaning, but the fuel tank is a whole new issue.
    Not sure about the h.p gains but I will speak to REbello about this. with 14.5cr
    I would think the gains would be pretty good. But maybe not what you are expecting if 50hp is not worth it.
    Racer

hulshot
    no need to switch cams as we are already running aggressive cams.
    Especially you. (spring breaker)
    I stuck with the same cam when we switched to alky. Wear and tear would be ok. Extra maintenance, well its only work.
    I feel the same about the fuel tank, I know the fitting and lines require checking and cleaning, but the fuel tank is a whole new issue.
    Not sure about the h.p gains but I will speak to REbello about this. with 14.5cr
    I would think the gains would be pretty good. But maybe not what you are expecting if 50hp is not worth it.
    Racer
    50hp is never enough, I need more for the 496..........:devil:

RACER52
    Me too..
    Corrosion
    remember how bad thingd were after 10days in Havasu? That might be an annual thing running alky.
    Racer

Sleeper CP
    Thanks racer. I wouldnt think by switching from gas to alcohol you would have to change cams? Cant pull up to any marina for gas as it is now. what kind of wear would I see? bearings, cylinder walls, plugs, heads, valves, diluted oil (if rich)?
    Lets say The motor made 650 hp with 14.5 comp with race gas, if switched to alcohol would there be a gain in hp and torque?? Would not try alcohol if it only nets 40-50more hp.
    A 14.5:1 496 with those heads I hope it would make more that 650 a lot more.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast