Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anodizing

Community
    Anybody know what you can do with aluminum that has been anodized and you want to change color? Powdercoat?

RiverDave
    You can powdercoat over it, or you can have it stripped then repolished and then annodized.. If it was me I'd powdercoat it.
    RD

Jbb
    You can powdercoat over it, or you can have it stripped then repolished and then annodized.. If it was me I'd powdercoat it.
    RD
    This answer brought to you from the good people of Cutting Edge Marine.....Bringing you high quality billet marine products since.......er....never mind....

Jordy
    Damn... I heard that one way over here.
    Oh, and RD Sux!!!

desertbird
    Anybody know what you can do with aluminum that has been anodized and you want to change color? Powdercoat?
    Anodize can be stripped by the same place that did it the first time. I do not believe you will be able to powder coat over the anodize. Powdercoat requires an electrically conductiove surface, and anodize does not conduct electricity.

Community
    Stripping and polishing sounds good.

SummitKarl
    Easy-off oven cleaner, works well at removing anodizing

RiverDave
    Anodize can be stripped by the same place that did it the first time. I do not believe you will be able to powder coat over the anodize. Powdercoat requires an electrically conductiove surface, and anodize does not conduct electricity.
    You got that backwards.. You can powdercoat just about anything so long as it can stand the oven temperatures. You can't annodize over powdercoat, but you can certainly powdercoat over annodizing. Alot of companies sell powdercoated products that are "treated" for salt water. That's a fancy way of saying that they ran a clear annodize over the part previous to powdercoating. That way if the part is scratched and salt water does make it's way onto the aluminum it won't (or is less likely) corrode the part, and it can be re-powder coated with no issues. If that process isn't done, and saltwater gets "underneath" the powder coat it will corrode the part at a much faster rate becuase it's actually trapped underneath the powdercoat and will more or less rot the part from the inside out. By the time you see the bubble in the powdercoat it's already to late and the part is dimensionally ruined.
    RD

RiverDave
    Stripping and polishing sounds good.
    Again, if the part has any "fine" details (grooves? lettering etc..) and you are going for a pewter / clear annodize you have to have them repolished.. Those grooves etc.. will take a beating from the repolishing if it's not done at a first rate shop. I'd send them over to Dana (again if it was me) and just have them powdercoated whatever color you want. It'll be cheaper then stripping and repolishing, and annodizing, as well the part will end up being more resistant to the elements in the long run as an extra coating will have been applied.
    RD

boater012
    Often times its cheaper to just but new stuff! Ive seen people spend twice what it would cost them for the same part brand new to restore them by powdercoating or reanodizing just my .02 worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast