Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a motor recipe!

Riverat84
    Thinking about building a chevy plant in my jet...
    Starting w/ a block, what would be a good recipe for 500 ballpark HP? I was thinking of starting w/ either a 454 block, or even a newer dart or merlin 500ci block, and then going from there...I was also thinking of putting a mild 6-71 on top also, or it could be NA...so, if some of you guys have some time, could anyone make a list of what i roughly need? im still learning, SORRY :devil:
    thanx,
    Reid

Widetrack
    This is all depends on what you want to do with the boat! Race,cruise,play,ski,ETC. That is what will determine what you will need and want to build! :idea:

DRAG'N FEVER
    You also need to decide from the start weather you are going to build a blown engine or NA engine.
    Oh yeh, first things first. What about your budget.
    Thats the primary regulator of your HP.
    I run a 509ci blown BBC with F.A.S.T. fuel injection, alcohol injection and intercooled producing up to 1400 hp on pump gas/alcohol inj.
    To go that far, building it yourself plus machine work you are looking at ruffly 30k with new parts.
    A stock BBC 454 four bolt main engine is good up to around 800 hp. After that you need to go to a aftermarket block.

Heatseeker
    The only suggestion I have at this point is if you're going with a blower, use an 8-71. No use running a 6-71 hard to feed a big block. An 8-71 will provide more flow with less heat build up.

djunkie
    Buy a crate motor. Have it remachined for marine tolerances and put the right cam in it. Probably be a lot cheaper and should make over 500hp no problem.

VAMI
    500 hp is not to hard to achieve,especially with a 500 inch engine,there many combos you could use for that and make more.That would be your best way to spend $$ is get that good aftermarket block and it should last forever.

Widetrack
    I will go for that! 500 HP is easy to acheive 454,461,468,Etc.just in stock stroke. But do keep in mind that compression has to stay in perspective about 10.7:1 or less unless you are willing to pay for race fuel $$$$$$!

pw_Tony
    Go Ford!
    I have been contemplating switching my Chevy for a Ford. Maybe we can do a trade on the stuff?

Riverat84
    just to cruise! no racing here for sure, and id rather go NA...so a regular 454 block will last up to 800HP? thats perfect! i didnt know that at all...good news.
    Reid

Riverat84
    Go Ford!
    I have been contemplating switching my Chevy for a Ford. Maybe we can do a trade on the stuff?
    yeah? we might be able to do it!...got any pics?...ill post the thread that has pics of my motor on it...its just that, the intake to the scoop was stolen off my motor a couple of weeks ago...thats the problem...everythings there except for the intake, both carbs, and the scoop.
    Reid

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast