Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need a motor recipe!

Jetaholic
    Here's mine...Desktop Dyno calculates about 517HP @ 5500RPM and 527 ft lbs of torque at 4500RPM.
    454 block, punched .030 over
    Stock crank and rods
    Forged TRW L2465F .030 pistons
    Plasma moly rings
    Comp Cams double roller timing chain
    Stock BBC heads, casting 353049 (large oval port), machined for bigger ss valves (2.19" intake, 1.88" exhaust)
    Melling M77G oil pump
    Isky 280H mega hydraulic flat tappet cam:
    280 seat-seat/232 .050" duration
    .565 valve lift (@ 1.75 rocker ratio...I'm running a 1.7 so that gives me about .549 lift at the valve)
    110 lobe center, 110 intake centerline
    60* seat-seat overlap/12* .050" overlap
    Valve Timing -
    Intake Opens 30* BTDC
    Intake Closes 70* ABDC
    Exhaust Opens 70* BBDC
    Exhaust Closes 30* ATDC
    Isky Super Lifters (anti-pump up type)
    You can get the whole cam kit complete with cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, and poly lock bolts from Hi-Tech Performance. Open spring pressure on the springs that come with the cam kit are 400lbs, so you'll need to make your valve train bulletproof...I have listed the parts that I recommend below for this. The retainer locks that come with the kit are 7* locks, but my machinist recommended 10* locks instead under that much spring pressure to allow for easy removal in case you ever need to remove them.
    Comp Cams 3/8" one piece magnum push rods (can handle 800lbs spring pressure)
    Scorpion 1.7 roller rockers (can handle 800lbs spring pressure)
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake manifold
    Holley 750 double pumper carb (marine version, Part #R-80537
    MSD 6M-2 Ignition box w/Soft Touch Rev Limiter
    Note: I think you can get the 6M-2L with the limiter built into it...most guys will recommend the automotive version, the 6AL box because it's cheaper, but I prefer marine parts on all boat engines...you can do what you like.
    MSD Ready To Run distributor
    MSD Blaster 2 coil
    Scat SFI Flexplate
    Powerforce Harmonic Balancer
    Compression ratio is about 9.5:1
    HP calculated out to be about 517HP @ 5500RPM
    Torque calculated out to be about 527ft lbs @ 4500RPM

thatguy
    Here it is next to my V-Drive. The Eliminator flattie is faster and more "explosive", but the Miller is like a cadillac on steroids. My wife says I can sell the flattie, but no way can I sell the Miller. This from a woman who thought I had lost my mind when I drug the Miller home a year ago. We got the Eliminator so we would have one while I built the jet. Sounds extravagant, but we have less than 15K into both boats.
    If you want help with your "recipe" let me know. I have made going fast cheap my lifes mission, since I have little spare cash. I had a 9.90 71' Nova I built for under 5K in the ENTIRE CAR.
    Tommy
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ts/2boats2.jpg
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ts/2boats1.jpg

vee-driven
    Or just buy my 454 with an 8-71 mooneyham on it with less than 3 hours on it, make an offer if interested.
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ermotor006.jpg

thatguy
    Here's mine...Desktop Dyno calculates about 517HP @ 5500RPM and 527 ft lbs of torque at 4500RPM.
    454 block, punched .030 over
    Stock crank and rods
    Forged TRW L2465F .030 pistons
    Plasma moly rings
    Comp Cams double roller timing chain
    Stock BBC heads, casting 353049 (large oval port), machined for bigger ss valves (2.19" intake, 1.88" exhaust)
    Melling M77G oil pump
    Isky 280H mega hydraulic flat tappet cam:
    280 seat-seat/232 .050" duration
    .565 valve lift (@ 1.75 rocker ratio...I'm running a 1.7 so that gives me about .549 lift at the valve)
    110 lobe center, 110 intake centerline
    60* seat-seat overlap/12* .050" overlap
    Valve Timing -
    Intake Opens 30* BTDC
    Intake Closes 70* ABDC
    Exhaust Opens 70* BBDC
    Exhaust Closes 30* ATDC
    Isky Super Lifters (anti-pump up type)
    You can get the whole cam kit complete with cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, and poly lock bolts from Hi-Tech Performance. Open spring pressure on the springs that come with the cam kit are 400lbs, so you'll need to make your valve train bulletproof...I have listed the parts that I recommend below for this. The retainer locks that come with the kit are 7* locks, but my machinist recommended 10* locks instead under that much spring pressure to allow for easy removal in case you ever need to remove them.
    Comp Cams 3/8" one piece magnum push rods (can handle 800lbs spring pressure)
    Scorpion 1.7 roller rockers (can handle 800lbs spring pressure)
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake manifold
    Holley 750 double pumper carb (marine version, Part #R-80537
    MSD 6M-2 Ignition box w/Soft Touch Rev Limiter
    Note: I think you can get the 6M-2L with the limiter built into it...most guys will recommend the automotive version, the 6AL box because it's cheaper, but I prefer marine parts on all boat engines...you can do what you like.
    MSD Ready To Run distributor
    MSD Blaster 2 coil
    Scat SFI Flexplate
    Powerforce Harmonic Balancer
    Compression ratio is about 9.5:1
    HP calculated out to be about 517HP @ 5500RPM
    Torque calculated out to be about 527ft lbs @ 4500RPM
    There ya go!! Basically the same longblock, 9.9:1, just over .550 lift. I think my numbers are pretty much identicle. Very nice, BTW, I believe I saw your build earlier on here.
    Tommy

thatguy
    Last one, I promise! I'll stop jacking the thread now!
    Tommy
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ts/miller4.jpg

Perfect recipe. Vey informative. How about a 600 HP BBC - inexpensively. For me it's a plus if I can use my existing 049 heads. Thanks.
    BTW, that flockin MIller is perfect!

thatguy
    Perfect recipe. Vey informative. How about a 600 HP BBC - inexpensively. For me it's a plus if I can use my existing 049 heads. Thanks.
    BTW, that flockin MIller is perfect!
    Well, I wouldn't gaurantee it, but it would seem that a simple cam swap to about .630 lift roller would do it. About 10.5:1 compression. But I would start worrying alot more about my cast crank and 2 bolt block at that point. Not to mention that pump gas would start being questionable.
    I did build a .125 over 454 once with the same parts as I have now except with an Edelbrock performer and an 850. 049 heads. It dynoed at 535 HP, 535 FP torque at 4800 RPM. That was with 9.5:1 Comp. also.
    If you want to keep it cheap, go as big on inches as possible. Stay under 10:1 compression. Forged pistons are a must, as well as bulletproofing the valvetrain, like metioned before. I have ran cast cranks over 7K RPM without failures,(just couldn't afford steelies then) thats where the balancing comes into play. Keep total timing under 37* and debur all the sharp edges on your pistons and chambers. This helps you keep with pump gas.
    My feelings are that the more you spend, the less the engine will run. (Except on the valvetrain and oiling system!).
    At 600 HP you may have issues with aluminum impellors and have to look at jet mods that will be $$$.
    Like they say, how fast do you want to go??!!
    Tommy

MACHINEHEAD
    How about building an alum. head motor with 8.5 to one with a blower type cam. Will still make an easy 550hp and you could throw the blower on it at any time!

ck7684
    This build is very similiar to mine, and I'm quite happy with it...
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...evy/index.html
    I am running Edelbrock RPM-O heads, and a bullet cam with about the same specs as the PHR build.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydiSTrHiCAg

Bang for the buck since you are starting with nothing it sounds like I would build a 496. Yes you can get the power you want from a 454 but you could build a 8 to 1 496 combo that would run 87 octane gas and make 500HP for 600 hours of running time. Find a pre 90 block 2 pc block, purchase a stroker kit, either use a good OEM head with fresh parts or buy a set of aftermarket heads, a small runner single plane intake, and with some simple tuning your there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast