Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Prices

BADBLOWN572
    Real ***boats don't have hatches.................OR tribal flames.....
    So because a boat is not a circle race boat, or a drag boat, it is not a ***boat? Moneypitt, would you consider a twin turbo Schiada a ***boat? I know of plenty of boat with either tribal flames, or hatches that definitely fall into pretty much ANYONE's ***boat Category.
    I have read a lot of your posts and it seems that if it is not a backyard project, a restoration, or a flat bottom you do not see it as being a "***boat." Would you consider the boats that I am building as a ***boat?

BADBLOWN572
    I can deliver a good 600h.p. motor for under $20K. I have been teaming up with Shaver Engineering up in Torrance to put together a marine package. Right now I am the only one that can get their marine motors. I have been more than impressed with what I have seen & tested! Shaver is known for their sprint car motors, indy car motors, etc... If you go and search the Internet for Shaver Engineering or Ron Shaver, I am sure that you will be impressed.
    The motor is a 509cid engine and Shaver is offering a 1 year 100 hour warranty on the motor. A 2nd year extra 100 hour warranty is available for an extra $1K. I can come in just under $20K for the motor (EFI) without headers, but with everything else ready to drop in the boat.
    Here are a couple of pictures of the one that I put in our red boat. This model is has a carb, but EFI is not a problem.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1195056489
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1195056489

mbrown2
    Would you consider the boats that I am building as a ***boat?
    I would....
    These ol' schoolers think if you can't burn your leg on an open header it is not a hot boat...literally......no hot pipes to burn legs, no hot boat.

scarabrick2
    Looks nice.....
    Put some braided hose on that bad boy..
    The black green stripe has to go.......
    Not a bad price.... 600 hp is really not that hard to make.
    How much for say 800 hp efi ???

BADBLOWN572
    Looks nice.....
    Put some braided hose on that bad boy..
    The black green stripe has to go.......
    Not a bad price.... 600 hp is really not that hard to make.
    How much for say 800 hp efi ???
    SS Braided is an option. This picture shows a very base motor. Does come with the MSD box, Distrib, Alternator, Starter, Raw Water Pump, Coupler, Bellhousing, spark arrestor, etc... All that you would have to do is to pull out an existing motor, hook up exhaust, and drop this one in. Will also plug into the standard 9pin GM Plug.
    We are doing our 750 package. Not an 800. We have not built one with EFI yet, but probably somewhere high 20's or very low 30's with EFI.

Moneypitt
    So because a boat is not a circle race boat, or a drag boat, it is not a ***boat? Moneypitt, would you consider a twin turbo Schiada a ***boat? I know of plenty of boat with either tribal flames, or hatches that definitely fall into pretty much ANYONE's ***boat Category.
    I have read a lot of your posts and it seems that if it is not a backyard project, a restoration, or a flat bottom you do not see it as being a "***boat." Would you consider the boats that I am building as a ***boat?
    I would have to see and hear one first, since I never have.:idea: I would agree there are some very powerful boats out there, showroom stuff that has been nicely appointed. That said, do you consider a Lambo a "hotrod"? Is a Porche, off the showroom floor, a hotrod?......To me a hotrod is a "backyard" project. An old coupe or roadster, a 55 Chevy with more power than appointments. Does Codington build hotrods? NO.......He builds customs......Is a circle or drag boat a ***boat, loosly, yes. IMO, a ***boat has an exposed engine, no stereo, and many hours of hard work done by the owner. There are far more ***boats that never see a race course than those that do....As I have said before, all the money in the world doesn't make it a ***boat, and the idea of the owner taking it in for service sorta defies the description "***boat".......This debate has been beaten into the ground before with no real agreement reached. We all have our own idea what a ***boat is, and that is fine.......Maybe a new discription, "high performance showroom boat" would be a better name for the Corvettes and Porches of the marine industry......Then again, maybe I am just envious of the ballers that can afford the type of boats you build. When I get rich and famous I may change my attitude and order two..........It is all good...........MP

rrrr
    ........ "high performance showroom boat".......
    LOL!!

BADBLOWN572
    I would have to see and hear one first, since I never have.:idea: I would agree there are some very powerful boats out there, showroom stuff that has been nicely appointed. That said, do you consider a Lambo a "hotrod"? Is a Porche, off the showroom floor, a hotrod?......To me a hotrod is a "backyard" project. An old coupe or roadster, a 55 Chevy with more power than appointments. Does Codington build hotrods? NO.......He builds customs......Is a circle or drag boat a ***boat, loosly, yes. IMO, a ***boat has an exposed engine, no stereo, and many hours of hard work done by the owner. There are far more ***boats that never see a race course than those that do....As I have said before, all the money in the world doesn't make it a ***boat, and the idea of the owner taking it in for service sorta defies the description "***boat".......This debate has been beaten into the ground before with no real agreement reached. We all have our own idea what a ***boat is, and that is fine.......Maybe a new discription, "high performance showroom boat" would be a better name for the Corvettes and Porches of the marine industry......Then again, maybe I am just envious of the ballers that can afford the type of boats you build. When I get rich and famous I may change my attitude and order two..........It is all good...........MP
    Ok. I see your point and I respect your opinion, but I think that you are looking at "***boats" in a very limited scope. I have read many of your posts and have seen you make comments that could be considered "putting down" or "discrediting" many boats that you would not consider a "***boat." Those boats have owners and their owners hopefully love the boat and would consider it a "***boat."
    I partially agree with a lot of what you say, but I also disagree in many ways too. For example, my dream "river/lake" boat would be one of my DCM cruisers with a 704cid 1,000+ h.p. naturally aspirated V-drive. If I left it at that, you would probably consider it a "***boat." However, my dream boat would have full interior, motor under the hatch, and a bumping stereo. I do like having creature comforts in my boats. It makes them more user friendly and will allow me to take multiple people with me to also enjoy the party. So, the boat would start off as a "***boat" in your opinion, but by the end of the day, it probably wouldn't. I want a boat that looks like Grandpa's cruiser until you pull up next to it and it blows your doors off. Does a hatch and/or stereo make it any less of a "***boat?" To me, not a chance.
    It is also pretty clear that you go to either Needles, lower river, or other places where there is minimal traffic and smooth conditions. Your "***boat" would not work well at places like Parker or Havasu. I have spent many of summers going to Parker with a Biesemeyer K boat. That is the LAST boat that I would use out there on a weekend. The ride punishes you! Many of the ***boats in Parker/Havasu would not work well where you are at. So, a person needs to cater the type of boat they purchase/build/restore/etc... to the type of boating that they are doing. None of which discounts the other, but tailors the boat to the boating of the customer.
    I would just say to be very mindful of the way you are coming across. I would consider each and every one of the boats that I build as being a "***boat." They are custom tailored to the customer and built from scratch. Just because they have a 350 with an I/O in them doesn't eliminate them from the "***boat" category.

Dave C
    so true... I agree with the Hotrod analogy too.
    I just don't think we have a moniker to differentiate the two.... and probably should.
    Maybe a new discription, "high performance showroom boat" would be a better name for the Corvettes and Porches of the marine industry......
    IMO the guys that buy the "tribal flame boats" and strip them down to rebuild it themselves have a "hot rod" also. They are not very common but they are out there and some are ever bit as customized as the "exposed engine" boats... Hell some of us have even been known to swap motors between the two

Dave C
    getting back to prices..... We build motors for our cars and use ever bit of quality and HP in them for much less $$$$ than our damn boat motors. But we don't have to buy all the extra crap that goes in the boat.
    One of the reasons for the difference is all the crap that goes on the marine motor. So factor in exhaust, mounts, coolers, pumps, pulleys, lines, linkage, induction, electronics, etc. etc. EFI parts are a couple of grand.
    all this extra crap adds up quick. If you are not careful you can spend $8,000+ before you even buy a long block
    However with that said once the marine motor goes over a certain price then one is just throwing good money after bad..

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast