Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Prices

BADBLOWN572
    all this extra crap adds up quick. If you are not careful you can spend $8,000+ before you even buy a long block
    Agreed 100%.

Dave C
    and for that matter the older boats don't have half the crap the new ones have.....
    coolerS (plural), jacketed exhaust, different bellhousings & mounts, brackets, pumps, pulleys, blah blah ..... all overpriced too. plus the older stuff is cheaper because it has been massed produced for 30+ years and some of it is standarized.
    I guess if there wasn't any money in all these extra parts Rex Marine would have more time to post here.
    Agreed 100%.
    I priced this out several times. Say you bought a ZZ572 w/ Carb (good motor) NOT including the price of the motor itself it would cost me $8,500 to rig it and install it (myself) in my boat. That's just parts and NO warranty. That doing things cheaply as possible.
    If I wanted to get some bling I would need different exhaust, braided lines, blah blah... add thousands.
    ahhh but what the hell do I know... I've only done this 4 times

uLtRADeNniS
    THEY ARE SCAM ALSO...
    I know, I know
    marine this, marine that...
    BULLSHIT
    600HP super chevy 8K turnkey and two year warranty
    Exactly... Why would someone pay $40k, $50k and up for a Merc or Viper motor, when you can go visit a top notch engine builder... and walk out with a reliable blower motor that makes 1000hp and still runs on pump gas!

Moneypitt
    Badblown and Dave C, You both have far more experience than me in the marine end of motorsports, or maybe even all motorsports. Your ideas, opinions, and services are valuable to the boating public. I must admit there is more than one way to skin a cat..........I like your sleeper boat idea, big heavy, well appointed, Screamer!!!:sqeyes: ..........Kinda like a 57 Mercury sedan with a dual quad Lincolin engine..........Typical creature comfort car of the 50s, but able to show most of the T Birds the taillights once it got wound up........Boats are boats, and boaters are boaters. We need to stand united to protect our passion from being regulated out of existence.......The people you serve are the people that get active in groups when their recreation is threatened. The people like me are outlaws hanging back in the shadows hoping no one sees us and our un muffled exhaust........But together we are all ***boaters willing to help a fellow boater out of a jam if necessary.....MP

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I would....
    These ol' schoolers think if you can't burn your leg on an open header it is not a hot boat...literally......no hot pipes to burn legs, no hot boat.
    Can I use that?
    I bought this 454 out of the ***boat spam forums for $3,500. I took it to Paul Grichar Racing engines and disassembled it. Paul replaced the valve springs, rings, bearings and touched things up a bit. I had to buy a new oil pan.
    It has a solid roller cam, ported 291 heads, plenty of compression and 660 carbs. On paper this thing should be well over 600 hp for a grand total of $4500. I could break this thing 5 times and still be ahead of what some of these guys get for their high dollar engines
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga..._DSC04484a.JPG
    As far as the "***boat" debate, I think moneypit is an old schooler that feels like people today have lost touch with the grass roots of ***boating.
    Obviously back in 1965, ***boat was derived from HotRod. If you define a hotrod traditionally and try and equate that to water you probably won't consider wakeboard boats or cookie cutter flatillas as "***boats".
    I believe many of the people in here are more refined than the traditional "old school" grease monkey hotrodders and prefer comfort with their speed or just comfort period. And then there's the guys who only care about what the ladies think.
    With all these different views and personallities mixed in here we'll never all agree on the definition of a true ***boat but in the end moneypit is right.

DeltaSigBoater
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1195056489
    What's DMP on the valve cover covers?
    I would....
    These ol' schoolers think if you can't burn your leg on an open header it is not a hot boat...literally......no hot pipes to burn legs, no hot boat.
    I was gonna write some long profound novel like reply, but I though of this instead... :idea: run that boat of Danny's (pictured above). After running the boat use an inferred thermometer get a surface temperature reading of the exhaust header. Note the temp. reading. Now touch the exhaust manifold/header… HOT isn’t it ?

dirty old man
    Sounds to me like none of you have ever bought a pair of Merc 1075's @ $155,000 each. After you deduct the #6, what do you think the motor is worth. You do get the first 50 hour service included, after that, its about $25,000 a pop to refreshen. Quit bitchen

uLtRADeNniS
    Sounds to me like none of you have ever bought a pair of Merc 1075's @ $155,000 each. After you deduct the #6, what do you think the motor is worth. You do get the first 50 hour service included, after that, its about $25,000 a pop to refreshen. Quit bitchen
    Unfortunately I'm not at the income level where I can write a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars for motors! But I'm happy that you have achieved on such a high level that permits you to do so. Thats really awesome!.. Although if I had that cash lying around...my beliefs wouldn't change.... I STILL wouldn't buy one of those motors. Its all about personal preference I suppose!
    Post some pics of your set up though... I would be interested in taking a peek!

C-2
    Bought a pair - shiat, I'm gonna guess over 3/4 of us on here haven't even seen a pair in person (except at the boat show).
    I'm still feeling the pain for YOUR fuel bill on that boat ride you posted up, lol

DeltaSigBoater
    Cigarette on Lake Mead :idea: I'm sure I've seen your boat before, or the blur of it passing my sorry 50mph on a good day @ WOT ass.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast