Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Prices

soupersonic
    Sounds to me like none of you have ever bought a pair of Merc 1075's @ $155,000 each. After you deduct the #6, what do you think the motor is worth. You do get the first 50 hour service included, after that, its about $25,000 a pop to refreshen. Quit bitchen
    Never will either, i dont know what a #6 drive costs, im guessing about 40,000 because ive seen used ones in the 10-20 k range. The prices Merc and Illmor demand for these motors is a focking joke. The parts are no better than anyone else can get. There ane definately better builders out there for a hell of alot less. Even if i had the money i wouldnt buy a 1075 Merc. Id call Larry Peto,Jay Ershen,Jeff Strech or Dave Palmer and have a better motor for a FRACTION of the price. 600-700 EFI is definately achievable for the 20k range.You just have to bypass the high priced reputations.

newmexico
    THEY ARE A FU CKING SCAM
    PERIOD............................................ ...........................
    how in the hell does a viper motor cost almost the same as a complete viper car....
    SCAM
    I asked that same question to a big marine engine builder once. His answer was the warranty. What is warranty for ONE year worth?

Dave C
    to each his own......
    Also I think there are very few people that can actually pull of a custom build. And of those that can, some of them are too busy to do it. So for the ordinary guy the HP showroom boat seems to be a very viable alternative (albeit expensive one)
    my favorite boat is still the 21 Daytona with a big old blower motor. Over transom exhaust pissing off the neighbors... f-ck em if they can't take a joke.
    I would love to have both if I could afford it. Both boats are fun in their own way.
    the low freeboards are a kick in the pants because you "feel" the speed. But there is nothing like cruising around long distances WFO in a bigger cat and sucking up the big snot.
    either way... good times are ahead!:devil:
    I much prefer to hang out with any ***boater than the sailboat crowd
    Badblown and Dave C, You both have far more experience than me in the marine end of motorsports, or maybe even all motorsports. Your ideas, opinions, and services are valuable to the boating public. I must admit there is more than one way to skin a cat..........I like your sleeper boat idea, big heavy, well appointed, Screamer!!!:sqeyes: ..........Kinda like a 57 Mercury sedan with a dual quad Lincolin engine..........Typical creature comfort car of the 50s, but able to show most of the T Birds the taillights once it got wound up........Boats are boats, and boaters are boaters. We need to stand united to protect our passion from being regulated out of existence.......The people you serve are the people that get active in groups when their recreation is threatened. The people like me are outlaws hanging back in the shadows hoping no one sees us and our un muffled exhaust........But together we are all ***boaters willing to help a fellow boater out of a jam if necessary.....MP
    P.S. don't put me in BB's category... that boy got SKILLZ I ain't got plus he keeps questionable company (i.e. R.D. sux)

NOTALENT
    What causes the prices so high....
    1. Components used/machine work needed
    2. Labor rate/ time to build
    3. Quality of the work done
    4. The name your paying to run/ Reputation
    5. Warranty (pretty much the same on marine)
    Everyone knows you pay mostly for the name. Lots of good builders out there who do quality work without marking it up a great deal.

dirty old man
    I don't know why some of you don't think Merc components aren't of the best quality, plus a warranty. I'm hard pressed to buy a quality 1.000 hp motor, transmission, dry sump system, gimble assembly (inner and outer), hydraulic steering, one of the best exhaust systems, and a really strong dry sump drive,(#6) for much less. If someone can direct me to a supplier who furnishes all new (no used or rebuilt) from a well known and established brand, I'll gladly look

redneckcharlie
    THEY ARE A FU CKING SCAM
    PERIOD............................................ ...........................
    how in the hell does a viper motor cost almost the same as a complete viper car....
    SCAM
    Thats some funny shit right there!!!! Don't forget the 20 year financing option.

dirty old man
    Further thoughts, where are you people buying your hi performance products from anyway; Volvo Racing Division? OMC? If you buy any new, semi -hi dollar or hi-hi dollar boat, what else can you do but buy Merc

KineticoH20
    All good reading guys, except for the it's a hot boat it's not debate Lets keep this topic flowing, I know i'm getting alot out of it as I'm sure others are. Thx to all who responed

Family Jewell
    Now that winter is upon us and lots of people are contimplating winter mods to thier boats. I have been wondering why after market engines have to cost 25k to 35 for a 600hp EFI engine. I know builders need to make money but when someone says they have 30k into a 600hp engine it makes me say hmmmm. Is there nobody that makes a decent 600hp engine for under 20k? I would love to hear others thought on the matter. I called Pfaff today and was quoted 30k for the 600efi not installed without tax:jawdrop:
    I would take a look at the crate motors offered by the automotive mannufactures. Ezample Chevrolet has a 572 that makes 620hp and 650 ft pds torque. This motor is great for jet boat appilcation or a stern drive if of course you upgrade your drive to handle the additional power which you are going to have to do any way. Hot Boat did and article on and Eliminator customer that was feeling the same about engine prices as you. The Client went out and purchased two 572's and Eliminator installed the motors. At 50 hours on the motors Hot boat paid a visit and went for a ride and the out come was unbelieveable. The boat ran top end 124 mph in a 28 Eliminator Daytona, at idle and cruising the motors were very docile. Chevrolet Makes several other engines and one with a complete fuel injection set up. 502 c.i. 502 hp fuel injected ram jet. I personally have the 572/620 in my 20.6 cole jet and could not be happier. Engiine starts first time every time, no oil leaks, and for power you can't beat for the price.

NOTALENT
    I would take a look at the crate motors offered by the automotive mannufactures. Ezample Chevrolet has a 572 that makes 620hp and 650 ft pds torque. This motor is great for jet boat appilcation or a stern drive if of course you upgrade your drive to handle the additional power which you are going to have to do any way. Hot Boat did and article on and Eliminator customer that was feeling the same about engine prices as you. The Client went out and purchased two 572's and Eliminator installed the motors. At 50 hours on the motors Hot boat paid a visit and went for a ride and the out come was unbelieveable. The boat ran top end 124 mph in a 28 Eliminator Daytona, at idle and cruising the motors were very docile. Chevrolet Makes several other engines and one with a complete fuel injection set up. 502 c.i. 502 hp fuel injected ram jet. I personally have the 572/620 in my 20.6 cole jet and could not be happier. Engiine starts first time every time, no oil leaks, and for power you can't beat for the price.
    Theres been alot of debate on this subject. Glad to hear its working out for you. The only flaw I would see is there is no warranty...Thats a big deal for some people.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast