Thread: lightweight high flow water pressure control

badbug
    here is a comparison of a solid brass 5-6 lb (weight wise) water pressure pop off valve compared to a solid plastic less than 1 lb (weight wise) pop off valve. I have found that when running a high flow thermostat or any thermostat,the water pressure can get out of hand and in order to keep good low speed water flow and pressure, i made this plastic valve to dump the high water pressure when needed. I made this to save 5 lbs of weight, since i am drag racing my inboard outboard and looking to save any weight i can. It took 7 1/2 hours to machine this plastic piece. I will make some if anyone wants one. thanks

GAWnCA
    Could you show a photo?

badbug
    how much are they and are they anodized?

badbug
    it will also corrode just like aluminum heads do if its aluminum , even anodized. I have tried several combinations before going plastic. After running it several weekends and letting it sit for a while, there is zero corrosion.

GAWnCA
    it will also corrode just like aluminum heads do if its aluminum , even anodized. I have tried several combinations before going plastic. After running it several weekends and letting it sit for a while, there is zero corrosion.
    How much would you charge? Never mind on the PM.

badbug
    well, i could save some money if i had at least 10 people wanting a valve like this. It would save me a lot of time making 10 instead of one and i wouldnt want to have to charge you too much, but if i had 10 wanting one, i could probably sell them for $150 each. The brass valve cost more than that though.