Thread: Alum main caps

Blown 472
    anyone use them on a blown motta? and what results did you have?

Dimarco Kid
    I've actually never even heard of them...so havn't used them! I run billet caps on a stock block. FYI

blowngas
    Aluminum blocks use aluminum main caps, and are set into the block to keep any movement to a minumum-----Keith Black blocks have crossbolt mains----wish the Rodeck I have did------I can't imagine putting aluminum caps on a steel block motor for any reason---I've seen 4 bolt steel caps move around from the motor not being happy on a steel block-----now putting billet caps on a steel block make good sense-----a two bolt can be made into a really hell for stout bottom end block with the addition of billet caps

SmokinLowriderSS
    In looking this up yesterday, there are a lot of Al blocks running steel or nodular iron caps.
    Here's just 1 from gmpartsdirect.com
    10051141 Bow Tie Aluminum Block
    This heavy-duty aluminum block is 47 pounds lighter than a production rear-wheel-drive cast iron block. It has extra-thick cylinder walls with dry nodular iron sleeves. The head bolt bosses are reinforced to improve head gasket sealing. This block has wider main bearing bulkheads than a production cylinder case; four-bolt caps are installed on the two intermediate main bearings. These billet steel main caps have splayed outer bolts that provide additional bearing support.

I've never heard of using Aluminum caps either. I know our rodeck has billet caps along with the others!! I would be a little nervous using a cap made out of Aluminum!!!

blowngas
    our rodeck has billet caps along with the others!!
    yours has steel caps and aluminum?------mine came with aluminum and so did the keith black olds----the olds has cross bolts, while the rodeck has dowels and the four studs-----do you run a valley pan or a full cover intake?------one last quesion-----9.8 deck or 10.2?

Infomaniac
    The modern solid billet blocks have billet alum main caps.
    The Brad 5 and 6 Chryslers that come through the shop do.

Liberator TJ1984
    The modern solid billet blocks have billet alum main caps.
    The Brad 5 and 6 Chryslers that come through the shop do.
    He said...Modern ....he he he he he he !!!
    Hey Ron , are you sure MOSES did'nt cast that block ???? Better look closer ,
    it may be cast out of Adobe Mud
    J/K ........Gopher

Unchained
    I think the aluminum main caps would only be practical for use in a Y block like a Chrysler, KB, or Arias. I think the old ford FE was a Y block also.
    There's 6 bolts holding the main caps in on the Arias Century block.
    http://newcenturyperformance.com/Blocks.htm
    If that doesn't hold it I've got bigger problems.
    I never saw aluminum main caps on a V block before.