Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carb Spacer

cfm
    It seems customary to use a 1" one. How do you go about finding out how much to put in? How does a spacer affect low end? How does it affect top end? I've got a 1" open and I added a 1/2" 4 hole and seen no difference.
    List full motor specs and parts along with top rpm and throttle bore size if not stock.
    I'll give you my best 02.

Guy,
    Contact CFM, he has done a ton of testing with spacers and has a good deal on the HVH stuff.

River Rat 005
    Here's what I've got.
    468 BBC
    12.5 comp
    Brodix BB2 Plus non CNC box stock
    Super Vic intake port matched
    1050 Dom mostly stock just jet change
    Comp Cam Dur.@.050 283/287 Lift .800/.719 LSA 110* custom grind I got from a friend.
    Depending on the prop, I shift at 7200 RPM or 7400 RPM. The finish line RPM is about the same as the shift RPM. At the launch, the RPM flashes to 6500 to 6800.
    This is in a Kurtis 500 hydro used for drag racing only.

ol guy
    You are dealing with air flow and fuel flow, Create more air space and add feul to fill the void. REJET. Spark-plug readings tell the story.

cfm
    I'd use a 1" SS4500-1.
    I couldn't imagine the 2" SS making more power since the "restriction" to the breathing of this motor is the stock BB-2+'s and then the cubic inches. IE: the restriction is downstream of the carb and intake. Because of the carb/intake the SS will provide a stronger and cleaner signal to the carb and let it work more the way that it should.
    So............use a 1" Super Sucker and stop thinking about carb spacers. Think about something else. LOL.
    BTW: If others have a combo like this but a Vic Jr and a 4150 carb I would go with a 2" easily.
    http://marine-performance-parts.com/...l/SS45001A.JPG

IMPATIENT 1
    I'd use a 1" SS4500-1.
    I couldn't imagine the 2" SS making more power since the "restriction" to the breathing of this motor is the stock BB-2+'s and then the cubic inches. IE: the restriction is downstream of the carb and intake. Because of the carb/intake the SS will provide a stronger and cleaner signal to the carb and let it work more the way that it should.
    So............use a 1" Super Sucker and stop thinking about carb spacers. Think about something else. LOL.
    BTW: If others have a combo like this but a Vic Jr and a 4150 carb I would go with a 2" easily.
    http://marine-performance-parts.com/...l/SS45001A.JPG
    what would you suggest for a nice flowed dominator setting on a nitrous plate system and victor intake(for dominator)? i keep hearing good things about the super suckers and wondered if they helped much. go 1" or 2"?phenolic or alum?

River Rat 005
    Thanks CFM. I think I'll try this. I was thinking of the 1" 4 hole. What I'm looking for is a little more at the hit of the throttle. I thought about a 4150 but a lot of boats are running tunnel rams. I figured 1050 Dom is less carb and only one to mess with. I got this thing pretty much dialed in on the 9.00. Working on the launch.

cfm
    No problem.
    You can't really compare one 4500 on a single plane vs 2 4150's on a tunnel ram by the "1050" vs "2 x 750's or what have you."
    Totally different animals (designs) and thus carb's 'real' airflow demands and such are different.
    Kind of like a dual plane vs single plane. The engine see's the carbs different. A dual plane on same engine will like more carb.

cfm
    what would you suggest for a nice flowed dominator setting on a nitrous plate system and victor intake(for dominator)? i keep hearing good things about the super suckers and wondered if they helped much. go 1" or 2"?phenolic or alum?
    The SS's for the Dom's are available in standard 2" throttle bores and also 2 1/8" throttle bores for the big momma's. They are also available for the Cloverleaf top intake manifolds (ex: Ford Vic for BB's) . No generic spacers here ! LOL.
    1.5-2" total (spacer + nitrous plate) will be fine.
    HVH and NX had a spacer that had the nitrous lines in it. You could get in a 2 line or 4 line .Not sure if available anymore from NX, you can check. Guess HVH didn't like the business dealings or something with them. I forget, was a few years ago, so don't quote that. It made huge power though.
    I'd spend extra money and get aluminum. Way more dependable. Heat to carb with that sort of motor (using juice) will not be a problem. Plus, it won't melt/crack/etc if you have a big nitrous backfire.

IMPATIENT 1
    The SS's for the Dom's are available in standard 2" throttle bores and also 2 1/8" throttle bores for the big momma's. They are also available for the Cloverleaf top intake manifolds (ex: Ford Vic for BB's) . No generic spacers here ! LOL.
    1.5-2" total (spacer + nitrous plate) will be fine.
    HVH and NX had a spacer that had the nitrous lines in it. Not sure if available anymore from NX, you can check. Guess HVH didn't like the business dealings or something with them. I forget, was a few years ago, so don't quote that. It made huge power though.
    I'd spend extra money and get aluminum. Way more dependable. Heat to carb with that sort of motor (using juice) will not be a problem. Plus, it won't melt/crack/etc if you have a big nitrous backfire.
    as a matter of fact, i'm runnin the big 2 stage twin gemini nitrous express set-up and i was hoping the ss spacer would work well with the ss ontop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast